What's new

RT-N66U official firmware 3.0.0.3_162

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there some utility to get a print-out of my current config, showing what has changed compared to default-settings?

I'm still on the fw that came with the router 0.90 I think. I'd like to give this one a try. Can't go higher than 40 mW.

Last edited:
Can someone please post in here how to check the nvram size via telnet? I had all the info just can't find it now...

Thanks!

Error and VPN question

I'm on the latest build 3.0.0.3.162.13 and I'm seeing the following error in my log with VPN turned on:

Jul 27 11:21:47 kernel: printk: 129 messages suppressed.
Jul 27 11:21:47 kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth0

Turn VPN off, it stops, that is item 1.

Item 2 is a Noob question. I can connect from my windows 7 laptop to my router via VPN but I cannot connect to anything internally on the network. I took the default for the VPN DHCP address range which is 192.168.10.x, my internal network is 192.168.1.x my understanding is that the 10.x should route to the 1.x, am I missing something?

BTW, this is sooooo much better than the stock .112 from Asus that I was running, thanks a bunch Merlin!!!

Thanks!

I'm on the latest build 3.0.0.3.162.13 and I'm seeing the following error in my log with VPN turned on:

Jul 27 11:21:47 kernel: printk: 129 messages suppressed.
Jul 27 11:21:47 kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth0

Turn VPN off, it stops, that is item 1.

Disable Broadcast support on the VPN config page.

Item 2 is a Noob question. I can connect from my windows 7 laptop to my router via VPN but I cannot connect to anything internally on the network. I took the default for the VPN DHCP address range which is 192.168.10.x, my internal network is 192.168.1.x my understanding is that the 10.x should route to the 1.x, am I missing something?

If you use a different range for the VPN and the LAN then you will have to do one of these:

• Configure your VPN to use the remote gateway as the default gateway (which means ALL traffic will be routed through the VPN), or
  • Create a new route on your Windows client to route all 192.168.1.0 traffic through the 192.168.10.x tunnel (route add 192.168.10.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.10.90), or
  • Set your VPN network to also use the same 192.168.1.0 network as your LAN.

Doing the latter is obviously the simplest and most efficient way to do it, as long you don't have an address conflict with the network from which your laptop is connecting to, just make sure that the range you allocate for the VPN doesn't conflict with the range allocated for the DHCP.

Is there some utility to get a print-out of my current config, showing what has changed compared to default-settings?

I'm still on the fw that came with the router 0.90 I think. I'd like to give this one a try. Can't go higher than 40 mW.

Over telnet:

nvram show

@G37x, this will also give you the used/remaining amount of nvram at the end of the dump.

It is just me or am I the only one who experiences the httpd demon crashing on occasion?

I will click on the button to show the client list, or dhcp list and the little progress circle will spin like its looking; then does nothing and it i click someplace else on the webui it says cant connect to router. I'll then telnet to the router and look at the processes and httpd isnt running any more.

This usually happens after the router has been running for a few days and its done it with every single version of firmware I have used.

I don't know if it has something to do with firefox causing it; since thats what I use exclusively.

Thanks. That's what I thought....So this last fw from asus will get us back to 32k?

Correct. They haven't enabled 64K NVRAM support in their build.

Vpn dns help

I have the RT-N66U and running firmware 3.0.0.3.162 and have cleared the Nvram. I have been trying unsuccessfully trying to setup VPN and Dyndns to remotely access my Thecus NAS and have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what I am doing.
I have read the user manual from back to front and there is next to nothing on the subject, I have spoken with Asus on the phone they have no idea and told me that I have to do online support, done that and very little help they just told me to update to latest firmware and to restore which I have done.
Can anybody please help me with simple step instructions.
My NAS port defaults are HTTP:80 and HTTPS: 443

I have the RT-N66U and running firmware 3.0.0.3.162 and have cleared the Nvram. I have been trying unsuccessfully trying to setup VPN and Dyndns to remotely access my Thecus NAS and have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what I am doing.
I have read the user manual from back to front and there is next to nothing on the subject, I have spoken with Asus on the phone they have no idea and told me that I have to do online support, done that and very little help they just told me to update to latest firmware and to restore which I have done.
Can anybody please help me with simple step instructions.
My NAS port defaults are HTTP:80 and HTTPS: 443

At which point did you get stuck? Were you able to at least get the DynDNS part working?

What operating system are you running on the client computer that will be connecting over VPN?

I have been able to connect to the RT-N66U UI after checking the port of access from WAN under the firewall settings which is port 8080 so I put that and the end of my http:/hostname.dyndns-mail.com:8080, if I change the port of access from WAN and put whatever I changed to on the end of my hostname it will only connect to the router UI.
In the router UI under WAN-Port forwarding I have entered two port forwarding to the same LAN IP one being http and the other https, I have tried adding these ports to the end of the hostname and it times out. I am using windows 7 but I want to connect direct to the Nas through the router without windows running a I did pay someone to do this a couple of years ago with a D-Link router which is now with the gods which cost me $$$$
I am not sure if this matters but I have been using 3G on my I phone to test the connection using my hostname to avoid loop back

Off topic

Hi ozmade,

Be careful with opening ports to the internet. Without exactly knowing the consequences that's an invitation for all hackers...

Concerning your NAS access issue you have to keep in mind that dynDNS service only provides the current WAN IP of your router.

If you want to access your NAS you could e.g. install a VPN that creates a tunnel from your client to your router. Then you can access your NAS with it's "VPN IP address" (which is different from it's local IP adress in your LAN).

BTW: VPN can be a real pain... have a look at the VPN subforum here.

I have been able to connect to the RT-N66U UI after checking the port of access from WAN under the firewall settings which is port 8080 so I put that and the end of my http:/hostname.dyndns-mail.com:8080, if I change the port of access from WAN and put whatever I changed to on the end of my hostname it will only connect to the router UI.
In the router UI under WAN-Port forwarding I have entered two port forwarding to the same LAN IP one being http and the other https, I have tried adding these ports to the end of the hostname and it times out. I am using windows 7 but I want to connect direct to the Nas through the router without windows running a I did pay someone to do this a couple of years ago with a D-Link router which is now with the gods which cost me $$$$
I am not sure if this matters but I have been using 3G on my I phone to test the connection using my hostname to avoid loop back

Howdy,
First it sounds like your not understanding what DynDNS does with what local ip addressing does. The DynDNS will get you back to your dynamic assigned ip address. That is all. The router is the item which you then need to configure to give up the tcp ports to another location behind your firewall. The best way is to make sure a reserved IP is assigned (set as static too if you want) the NAS. Now for example you use 192.168.1.10 for your NAS. Under the RT-N66U you would have a DHCP reserved for that specific MAC setup. The under the WAN tab, you would enable port forwarding, you would then make the custom rule for what you want. You would not worry about the drop downs, go right to the service name slot, type in a name you want, set the port you want, use drop down to select the IP address (192.168.1.10), and then the matching local port you want it matched to, then TCP, and then select the big + sign, don't forget to the hit apply at the bottom. done. :)

My router, cant wake up wifi when i set times when is wireless radio on... do you have this problem anyone?

My router, cant wake up wifi when i set times when is wireless radio on... do you have this problem anyone?

Yes, it's a known bug in firmware 3.0.0.3.162.