What's new

RT-N66U or Virgin Media issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Baz8755

Occasional Visitor
I am with Virgin Media (Fareham, UK area) using their router in modem mode (hence forth known as modem) connected to my RT-N66U (henceforth known as router).

Everything has been rock steady until this weekend when I returned home from a week away.

All my equipment reported a connection to the router but no internet, I did a reset of the modem and router and everything came back OK. Every day ever since the same problem has occured and I found that just resetting the modem would fix the issue, obviously an issue with Virgin/Modem.....or so I thought.

This morning I tried resetting the router and found everything came back.

Normally I would still say Virgin issue as nothing has changed, however a few weeks ago I updated the firmware on the router and in an attempt to resolve issues this weekend I updated to 3.0.0.4.380.7378.

Searching forums for known issues with Virgin has found nothing so I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar with either recent router firmware builds or maybe with Virgin?

I would.

1. Look in the Network Log on the Super Hub (192.168.100.1).
Can't get to as it's in modem mode
2. Look in the System Log on the router.
Cleared log yesterday, network not working again this morning and found just one entry in log
Apr 3 23:00:42 disk_monitor: Got SIGALRM...
I am guessing this may well be the time the network disconnected
3. Check for area faults on Virgin's website, https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status
Did check, including equipment reset and no fault found
4. Ask in Virgin's forums, http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Broadband/ct-p/Broadband
Cannot find anything

The only other factor is that last week whilst away we had new neighbours move in so maybe Virgin did an install but I must say that at the moment I am inclined to think the router is playing up.

1. Look in the Network Log on the Super Hub (192.168.100.1).
Can't get to as it's in modem mode
You should be able to, even in modem mode. Go to 192.168.100.1 and look at the top right. Click on Router Status and then Network Log.
2. Look in the System Log on the router.
Cleared log yesterday, network not working again this morning and found just one entry in log
Apr 3 23:00:42 disk_monitor: Got SIGALRM...
I am guessing this may well be the time the network disconnected
That's a normal periodic message from the disk monitor, it can be ignored.

You should be able to, even in modem mode. Go to 192.168.100.1 and look at the top right. Click on Router Status and then Network Log.
That's a normal periodic message from the disk monitor, it can be ignored.
As per every morning connectivity was down so tried getting on to superhub but router could not connect although it was reporting WAN connected. Went to WAN settings, did not change anything and clicked apply, I could then connect to superhub and check logs. The logs were empty.

It really does look like an issue with the router. Reading the release notes I just have a sneaking suspicion that the ECO mod may be causing the issue.

Not sure what my next step will be, either NVRAM reset and manually re-enter config or just roll back to .3831 (which is the newest release on ASUS site prior to March this year).

For now I have reflashed .3831, cleared NVRAM and restored a backup of config.

All up and running at the moment, tomorrow morning will tell if it was router firmware or something Virgin have done

Anoyingly though one of the ports has stopped working, but they have always been flakely since day one

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!