What's new

RT-N66U seems to have lost its range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Have tried the latest versions merlin and asus own, but everyone has bad wifi.
Any solution on time? Bought this router because it had good wifi.

Unless your router has bad hardware, the latest Asus version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 and Merlin -em build version should give good or at least an acceptable wireless range.
Be sure to perform a hard reset or revert to factory defaults after the upgrade and manual configure the router (do NOT load an old configuration backup file).

Last edited:
Unless your router has bad hardware, the latest Asus version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 and Merlin -em build version should give good or at least an acceptable wireless range.
Be sure to perform a hard reset of revert to factory defaults after the upgrade and manual configure the router (do NOT load an old configuration backup file).

Do I have to do a hardware reset?

Skickat från Samsung S3 med Tapatalk Pro

Do I have to do a hardware reset?
In your situation with bad results after an upgrade YES, do a hard reset or revert to factory defaults after the upgrade.
This makes sure the new wireless drivers are properly initialised and properly configured.
After a proper hard reset or factory defaults, you need to access the router at IP address 192.168.1.1 with Username/Password = admin/admin.
You should get the router setup wizzard that guides you through the initial setup.
Manual configure the router, do NOT load a configuration backup file.

Last edited:
Then simply revert to factory defaults:
Advanced Settings>Administration>Restore/Save/Upload Setting>Factory default>Restore

I am using Asus stock firmware, currently 3.0.0.4.374.4561, with no problems and good wireless range on both frequencies.
I recommend the Merlin -em build for the RT-N66U if you want the additional features or really suffer wireless issues.
Each to our own taste :)

Set the RF power for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz to it's maximum value.

For me this latest -em build is still not good enough, so I returned to Merlin's 26b build. As I use it as AP I don't worry for the security issues. My RT-N66U is now working as it was one year ago: very good coverage !

For me this latest -em build is still not good enough, so I returned to Merlin's 26b build. As I use it as AP I don't worry for the security issues. My RT-N66U is now working as it was one year ago: very good coverage !

Can you link to that build?

Skickat från Samsung S3 med Tapatalk Pro

Where can I find 26b?