What's new

RT-n66u set upnp to play nice w/Win 7 WMC and HDHR tuners

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LinuxBob

New Around Here
HOw do I set upnp etc to accomplish what is recommended below with respect to other routers? (recommendation found at http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdhomerun/testfai/upnp_multicast_recv/)

"The test can be repeated by clicking the Rescan button on the Tuners tab in HDHomeRun Setup. It is recommended that the test be repeated after each configuration change until the cause of the problem has been identified and the error is no longer reported.

1.Configure any software firewalls on your PC:
■Norton 360: Open Norton 360, click Settings, then Firewall, then Traffic Rules, and uncheck Default Block UPnP Discovery and Default Block SSDP, then click Apply, then Close.
■McAfee: Open McAfee, click Web and Email Protection, then Firewall, then Ports and System Services, then check Universal Plug and Play (UPNP). Then, click on Connections and make sure your home network is listed with a security level of Home.
■Other firewalls: look for any options related to multicast, UPnP, or SSDP, and make sure they are allowed.
2.Log into your home router and look for settings relating to UPnP, Multicast, or IGMP
■For DLink routers click on the ADVANCED heading at the top, then click ADVANCED NETWORK on the left hand menu. If there is a Multicast option test with this option enabled and with this option disabled. If there is a UPnP option test with this option enabled and with this option disabled.
■[For Netgear routers, including the WNDR3700, under Advanced click on WAN Setup. If there is an IGMP Proxying option, test with this option enabled and with this option disabled. If there is a UPnP option test with this option enabled and with this option disabled.
■Comcast-provided SMCD3GNV routers are broken and will block this traffic regardless of what configuration options are set. Contact Comcast and obtain a different router from them, or else insert your own router or switch in between the SMCD3GNV and the rest of your network.
■For Actiontec MI424WR routers (commonly used with FiOS), go into Advanced, then IGMP Proxy, and try with the IGMP Proxy setting both Disabled and Enabled. If you are using a rev I router with the latest firmware and do not have the IGMP Proxy link, log in to your router then go to http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059. If you have changed the IP address of your router, make sure to adjust the URL accordingly.
■For routers running DD-WRT firmware, go into Security, then Firewall, and uncheck Filter Multicast"

My problems with tuner conflicts began when I replaced a WNDR3800 with the RT-n66u.

You will find the multicast-related options under Wireless -> Professional. Experiment with these to see if it helps (don't forget to apply your settings before repeating the same change on the 5 GHz band).

I have 2 HDHR Primes connected to my N66U and have not had any issues. Multicast traffic is routed by default, no special configuration required. Is the computer wired or wireless? Are the HDHRs wired, or connected to a wireless bridge? This is most likely something unique to your setup.

I have 2 HDHR Primes connected to my N66U and have not had any issues. Multicast traffic is routed by default, no special configuration required. Is the computer wired or wireless? Are the HDHRs wired, or connected to a wireless bridge? This is most likely something unique to your setup.

The WMC computer and the HDHR Prime are both directly wired into RT-n66u Ethernet ports.

You will find the multicast-related options under Wireless -> Professional. Experiment with these to see if it helps (don't forget to apply your settings before repeating the same change on the 5 GHz band).

Well my Asus ROG Laptop on which WMC runs is wired ethernet to the RT-n66u as is the Silicondust HDHR Prime, same room. Why would a wireless setting be a problem? I have Xboxes that are connected wirelessly but the problem with the Viewing or Listening Tuner Conflict error exists when vieiwng the laptop and/or the Xboxes.

Well my Asus ROG Laptop on which WMC runs is wired ethernet to the RT-n66u as is the Silicondust HDHR Prime, same room. Why would a wireless setting be a problem? I have Xboxes that are connected wirelessly but the problem with the Viewing or Listening Tuner Conflict error exists when vieiwng the laptop and/or the Xboxes.

Sorry. Usually people have multicast issues over wireless, I would assume multicast over wired would work out-of-the-box.

Some of the tuner conflict issues are tricky to track down. I would suggest posting on the SiliconDust forums. They are very helpful over there.

HOw do I set upnp etc to accomplish what is recommended below with respect to other routers? (recommendation found at http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdhomerun/testfai/upnp_multicast_recv/)

"The test can be repeated by clicking the Rescan button on the Tuners tab in HDHomeRun Setup. It is recommended that the test be repeated after each configuration change until the cause of the problem has been identified and the error is no longer reported.

1.Configure any software firewalls on your PC:
■Norton 360: Open Norton 360, click Settings, then Firewall, then Traffic Rules, and uncheck Default Block UPnP Discovery and Default Block SSDP, then click Apply, then Close.
■McAfee: Open McAfee, click Web and Email Protection, then Firewall, then Ports and System Services, then check Universal Plug and Play (UPNP). Then, click on Connections and make sure your home network is listed with a security level of Home.
■Other firewalls: look for any options related to multicast, UPnP, or SSDP, and make sure they are allowed.
2.Log into your home router and look for settings relating to UPnP, Multicast, or IGMP
■For DLink routers click on the ADVANCED heading at the top, then click ADVANCED NETWORK on the left hand menu. If there is a Multicast option test with this option enabled and with this option disabled. If there is a UPnP option test with this option enabled and with this option disabled.
■[For Netgear routers, including the WNDR3700, under Advanced click on WAN Setup. If there is an IGMP Proxying option, test with this option enabled and with this option disabled. If there is a UPnP option test with this option enabled and with this option disabled.
■Comcast-provided SMCD3GNV routers are broken and will block this traffic regardless of what configuration options are set. Contact Comcast and obtain a different router from them, or else insert your own router or switch in between the SMCD3GNV and the rest of your network.
■For Actiontec MI424WR routers (commonly used with FiOS), go into Advanced, then IGMP Proxy, and try with the IGMP Proxy setting both Disabled and Enabled. If you are using a rev I router with the latest firmware and do not have the IGMP Proxy link, log in to your router then go to http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059. If you have changed the IP address of your router, make sure to adjust the URL accordingly.
■For routers running DD-WRT firmware, go into Security, then Firewall, and uncheck Filter Multicast"

My problems with tuner conflicts began when I replaced a WNDR3800 with the RT-n66u.

I realize this is a very old post, but I too am having difficulty getting my HDHR-US to work with my RT-N66U. Just wondering if you know how to fix it.