What's new

RT-N66U: Slow wifi caused by 374 firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That is my next project. I do have a wireless adapter in my everyday PC that I don't use because I am close enough to the router to use a cable. I may just pull that and try it in the remote computer.

Erratic wifi speeds with android devices

Router: brand new RT-N66U with firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374_979
Main problem device: HTC Incredible 4G LTE

General
I'm getting highly unreliable wifi speed since switching to the ASUS RT-N66U. I have been using a Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato Firmware with no speed issues but decided to upgrade to an N-router for faster speed. Both routers are in the same position. The ASUS upgraded to _979 firmware when I did the initial setup so no way of knowing if the update is the issue.

The problem
-> wifi speeds varies almost randomly from 6 to 65 Mb/s on my HTC, my previous router was always at 54 Mb/s. My wife's galaxy S4 shows variability between 40 to 150 Mb/s. I confirmed the wifi speeds with the speedtest app and they indeed correspond to the connection level shown (varies from 1 to 35 Mb/s, I have 50/30 internet).
-> the signal is always considered "excellent" but the bandwidth is often horrible, even just a few feet from the router.

Already attempted solutions
Almost everything I could think off and find on the web
-> restarting router/android client
-> changed encryption
-> changed band (2.4/5 GHz/auto)
-> changed channel to least used based on Wifi analyser app.
-> disabled WMM APSD/TX bursting
-> tried 20 and 40 MHz bands
-> repositioned antennas
-> all possible settings on HTC device including "Best WiFi Performance"
-> even tried the Wifi fixer app

Last edited:
Was the 979 FW version what you were automatically upgraded to during set up? What was the version that came standard on your router? I was only upgraded to the 720 version during set up (one version newer than the 276 that cam already installed). I have no problems with speeds on any of my wireless devices. When tested they are give me exactly what my ISP provides (20M down, 2M up). My phones and tablet are all Apple and I don't know if that makes a difference compared to what you are seeing.

Router: brand new RT-N66U with firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374_979
Main problem device: HTC Incredible 4G LTE

General
I'm getting highly unreliable wifi speed since switching to the ASUS RT-N66U. I have been using a Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato Firmware with no speed issues but decided to upgrade to an N-router for faster speed. Both routers are in the same position. The ASUS upgraded to _979 firmware when I did the initial setup so no way of knowing if the update is the issue.

The problem
-> wifi speeds varies almost randomly from 6 to 65 Mb/s on my HTC, my previous router was always at 54 Mb/s. My wife's galaxy S4 shows variability between 40 to 150 Mb/s. I confirmed the wifi speeds with the speedtest app and they indeed correspond to the connection level shown (varies from 1 to 35 Mb/s, I have 50/30 internet).
-> the signal is always considered "excellent" but the bandwidth is often horrible, even just a few feet from the router.

Already attempted solutions
Almost everything I could think off and find on the web
-> restarting router/android client
-> changed encryption
-> changed band (2.4/5 GHz/auto)
-> changed channel to least used based on Wifi analyser app.
-> disabled WMM APSD/TX bursting
-> tried 20 and 40 MHz bands
-> repositioned antennas
-> all possible settings on HTC device including "Best WiFi Performance"
-> even tried the Wifi fixer app

Give the asus router different, unique SSIDs. Use names that you've never used before.

If that doesn't work, reset asus router to factory defaults and start over from scratch.