What's new

RT-N66U - very slow wifi but wired OK - what am I doing wrong?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snmp945

New Around Here
Hello all,

I just set up a new RT-N66U and am experiencing slow wifi. Here are the details:

Tests run using https://totusoft.com/lanspeed and a new FreeNAS 11 build.
Tests run from about 15 feet away and nearly unobstructed.
The router is located on the top shelf of a hall closet with all 3 antennae pointed straight up.
The client machine has an Intel 6300 3x3 card with the latest driver (capable of 450Mb/s).
Router has latest ASUS firmware with no changes aside from security.
Located in low density area - inSSIDer finds weak 2.4GHz from the neighbors and no 5GHz networks at all.
Link speed ranges between 300 - 400.

Here are the speeds I am achieving (similar for both read and write):

LAN: 800Mb/s
2.4GHz: 70Mb/s
5GHz: 25Mb/s

I know "real world" speeds will be less than the "advertised" 450Mb/s, but I don't think this is normal. In at least one review, the reviewer claims to achieve 226Mb/s over 2.4GHz, and 162Mb/s over 5GHz:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/202...2-11n-router-for-the-home-or-home-office.html

So far I've tried turning off encryption with no change in results.

Any suggestions to rectify these abysmal transfer speeds? I'm especially wondering about the very low 5GHz results.

Thanks for reading!

If the link speed for 5GHz is reporting above 300Mbps and you still only get 25Mbps, there is a good chance you have something clogging up the airspace nearby. With a 2x2 client, I was able to get over 150Mbps easily on my RT-N66u.

It is impressive to even see 70Mbps on the 2.GHz. I rarely have ever seen anything of mine get over 50Mbps....then again, I don't have any 3x3 2.4GHz clients either.

1.) Try a different 5GHz channel
2.) Make sure there are no walls or doors in the transmission path for testing
- either leave the closet door open, or pull the router/AP out for testing
3.) Make the 3 antenna point slightly different directions instead of all 3 being aligned.