What's new

[RT68U] - Bridge Mode enabled (5GHz) , still SSID ASUS on 2.4GHz (unencrypted)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dl9pf

New Around Here
HI !

I'm using 2 AC68U (Router + Media Bridge) .

With the current firmware 3.0.0.4.376.47_0 on the Media Bridge, there is a rogue wifi "ASUS" there which did not get disabled once the Media Bridge was configured.

Cool :) in principle to have bridge over 5 and ap on 2, but it has no encryption :eek: enabled ;) and cannot be administered through the UI.

I assume that is new and a bug.

So basically I've a bug and a feature request ;) :

a) BUG: Media Bridge does not disable AP (bridge on 5, ap on 2)

b) Feature: Allow to use and administer through webui 2nd Band as AP in bridge mode (bridge on 5, ap on 2)

Cool work and big thanks for the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware !

The feature basically works with a trick:
I could configure the router as AP on 2.4G with the desired SSID, then enable Media Bridge using 5GHz.

Now I have :

Internet >--<[RT-AC68U as 5GHz AP]>--Y5 . . .

... 5Y---<[RT-AC68U as 5GHz Media Bridge + 2.4 GHz AP]>---Y2.4

Cool.

Just the Setup/Administration is not possible in the UI as long as the media bridge is enabled ;) .

@RMerlin, what do you think ?
JS

Wifi broadcasting with the default SSID is a known issue with the Asus code. I'm leaving this one up to them to fix for now (because I can't fix everything on my own - this is pretty much a one-man project, while Asus has an actual team of developers working on this).

This is a really serious bug. I don't see how media bridge mode is viable as long as its there. Is there a workaround? How far back do I have to go before the bug is gone? I didn't have this issue with my other media bridge, which is now running ~year old firmware.

Edit: I flashed john9527's fork. While I don't see a 2.4Ghz SSID withe bridge enabled, I'm concerned that I see the 2.4ghz light is on, the webGUI lists old SSIDs. I can't seem to connect to the old SSIDs, but I don't know if that's just a software limitation on my client. Is it actually still broadcasting on an hidden SSID?

Last edited:
Just switch back to router mode, disable the 2.4 GHz radio, then revert to media bridge mode, or manually disable it like John suggested in his thread.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do you disable the 2.4Ghz from the Web GUI? I can't find a configuration option anywhere. Is there a way to do it other than the manual method described by John?

Wifi broadcasting with the default SSID is a known issue with the Asus code. I'm leaving this one up to them to fix for now (because I can't fix everything on my own - this is pretty much a one-man project, while Asus has an actual team of developers working on this).
I cannot believe this is still an issue in 2018.

I’m using AC88U as a main router and today, I’m trying to configure AC68U as a media bridge and by default, AC68U broadcasts factory default SSID (2.4 and 5)! Crazy.

So, I tried to configure in router mode so that I can change SSID, disable 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and enable Wi-Fi Mac filter to enhance security. All configured in default router mode. And then, when I tried to switch to media bridge mode, the web UI asks “Select the Wi-Fi network you would like to extend.” then nothing happens. The web UI does not show available Wi-Fi network to connect to.
I’m using Merlin FW v384.3
I swear ASUS routers are bug fest.
At its current state, media bridge mode is unusable.

Last edited:
I cannot believe this is still an issue in 2018.

I’m using AC88U as a main router and today, I’m trying to configure AC68U as a media bridge and by default, AC68U broadcasts factory default SSID (2.4 and 5)! Crazy.

So, I tried to configure in router mode so that I can change SSID, disable 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and enable Wi-Fi Mac filter to enhance security. All configured in default router mode. And then, when I tried to switch to media bridge mode, the web UI asks “Select the Wi-Fi network you would like to extend.” then nothing happens. The web UI does not show available Wi-Fi network to connect to.
I’m using Merlin FW v384.3
I swear ASUS routers are bug fest.
At its current state, media bridge mode is unusable.
For the record, here’s an update.
The culprit was wireless MAC filter. I always use WPA2(AES) encryption with wireless MAC filter for added security. That’s how my main router AC88U is configured.

With AC68U switching to Media Bridge Mode from default Router Mode, if wireless MAC filter is enabled, AC68U does not detect any available Wi-Fi signal (SSID) when switching from Router Mode to Media Bridge Mode.
If wireless MAC filter is disabled, it works fine.