What's new

rtac86u question. help much appreciated

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

elkido122

Occasional Visitor
looking to consider this router as an replacement to my old rt-ac68u that crapped out. Will it work just like my old one did with my wireless printer ( 2.4ghz) if I simply setup the new one with same wpa 2 and wifi name and password? How is this router for gigabit internet? Thinking of upping my plan to gigabit will this work for that well and be a stable router.
Thanks, a lot of question in one I know.

looking to consider this router as an replacement to my old rt-ac68u that crapped out. Will it work just like my old one did with my wireless printer ( 2.4ghz) if I simply setup the new one with same wpa 2 and wifi name and password? How is this router for gigabit internet? Thinking of upping my plan to gigabit will this work for that well and be a stable router.
Thanks, a lot of question in one I know.

Yes, it will do... and has about 20% better WiFi coverage than the AC68U.

OE

ok just seen some people on the forums a bit back saying they werent getting full gig over wired connection. should i need to set anything specific to achieve my isp rated speed or 1gig on the router, or just setup as basic and be ok to go?

Are you sure you want AC86U? It is 4-years old model now, the first Asus HND router with reliability issues history. What OzarkEdge is hiding from you - he had 2x dead AC86U routers already. Like many other SNB members around who lost AC86U routers.. Use the forum search tools and count. Even RMerlin had one failed unit. I don't understand this type of "help" on SNB, honestly. Do you like gambling, @elkido122? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Better get RT-AX68U. The same CPU/RAM as AC86U, newer model, with AX radios and Asuswrt-Merlin support.

What OzarkEdge is hiding from you - he had 2x dead AC86U routers already.

I'm not hiding anything. Feel free to give them your opinion but leave me out of it. I openly reported my 2018 China AC86U failures here... and that I replaced them with the same routers. The OP can finish their research and decide for themselves... it's a process that requires and deserves more than one post and opinion.

OE

I'm not hiding anything.

You didn't tell everything you know about the model. Statistically you have 50% failure rate in your own experience with AC86U routers. @elkido122 is specifically asking for a stable router! How is your reply helping him make a decision? This model is perhaps the most troubled from all Asus routers going back 10 years. Using search I see you've lost partially your investment. One of the routers failed in warranty period, the other shortly after the warranty expired. Asus did absolutely nothing for you and others with failed AC86U units. Thanks for your honesty. Ignored.

Well, I have a 100% success rate with an AC86U. Ok I am now on an AX86U but the older router has been used as a mesh node, a main router in a business office and next week will be gifted to a friend in need.

ok just seen some people on the forums a bit back saying they werent getting full gig over wired connection. should i need to set anything specific to achieve my isp rated speed or 1gig on the router, or just setup as basic and be ok to go?

The AC86U will do what you asked...

There are reports here of early AC86Us experiencing certain hardware failure. I have installed eight AC86Us; two early 2018 China builds from the same batch failed. Asus replaced one under warranty. I replaced the other. I am not aware of current AC86Us failing.

If you feel that Asus is willfully continuing to make and sell product with parts that fail prematurely, then you should not buy any Asus product, imo.

Not everyone wants to buy on the bleeding edge... your original post implied this as you wanted to replace an AC68U that has been on the market for a relatively very long time with an AC86U that has been on the market for a relatively long time. You did not ask about new WiFi6 product and even newer WiFi6e product that anyone considering a new router purchase would most likely consider, if they wanted to.

New product typically has a higher rate of hardware and software issues and costs a premium. Also, WiFi6* product is being introduced over an extended draft period of time. WiFi6 routers are being introduced and now some WiFi6e routers (with a 6.0 GHz third band) are starting to show up. WiFi6/6e client product introduction to the market will typically trail further behind and it will take even longer for users to take up to replace their existing WiFi clients.

The pandemic has further delayed the availability of routers (and everything)... supply is way down, demand is way up due to work and school from home network demands world-wide, and prices are way up.

The AC86U will do what you asked... without the typical new product and bleeding edge technology issues some prefer to avoid, and may be easier for you to source in your part of the world and will naturally cost less... all of which may suit your application, preferences, and particular needs.

It is not uncommon for members here to have a different take on matters. It is uncommon and in poor taste for one to disparage another over one brief, subjective, and well-intentioned post; or anything else. Instead, the mature members here simply post their point of view to help the discussion and learning along for everyone, subject to the time in their day.

My install notes may help you with commissioning your next router (no AX details yet).

OE

I'm in full agreement with @OzarkEdge. The RT-AC86U is a great router, even today.

In the last few weeks, I've upgraded a few customers' installs (to RT-AX68U's and RT-AX86U's) and have repurposed three RT-AC86U's that have been in service for years without issue. Two of them are 2020 models, one is a 2018 model (the 'original'). All three customers have asked me to donate the routers to anyone I deem needs them. And I have done so without any qualms about quality, reliability, or performance concerns (for the specific customer ISP speeds, home environment, and client devices in use, that I donated them to).

To buy the RT-AC86U today depends on the local prices of the best routers to buy today (see below). But coming from an RT-AC68U (original), it will be a huge upgrade (as all that received the RT-AC86U's above told me too).

My criteria for a 'good' router today is it must run RMerlin firmware (legally, and now). That automatically makes it an Asus. The list below is what I have personally seen to be the best available today.

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

You may find the following link(s) useful too.

Almost all L&LD Links

I've had a 100% success rate with my Asus RT-AC86U after upgrading from an Asus RT-N16 and several Asus RT-AC68U's (one 68U failed outside of warranty).

I did do my research and knew that earlier 2018 models had various issues and many were the posts about quality control issues, especially for those early 2018 models.

In spite of that, I purchased the RT-AC86U (not the 2018 model), less than a year ago, because it was on sale online at a very low price and I had NO devices that required wifi 6/6E. (Had I been delivered the 2018 model I suspect I would have probably returned it)

I have not had any significant issues with the router and I have been very happy with my purchase.

I cannot comment as to its ability to handle 1 gig. I defer to more informed members.

A little OT here:
I read in snbforums about AC86U model years i.e. 2018, 2020, model countries, i.e. China, Taiwan but
how do you guys/gals actually tell the different versions apart?

All hardware versions are the same - v1.5, manufactured in China and Vietnam. You have better chance with later production years. It's printed on the back of the router. @Teiro pictures here show one of the problems - low quality heat transfer pads. Note the large oily stains on the PCB. In about 2 years time the router slowly starts to overheat. There are reports of 2020 routers with overheating symptoms. One person found his router with no pads installed at all. This router may work for many years with no issues or fail prematurely due to combination of different internal and external factors.

A little OT here:
I read in snbforums about AC86U model years i.e. 2018, 2020, model countries, i.e. China, Taiwan but
how do you guys/gals actually tell the different versions apart?

My two failed 2018 China units had p/n 889349 624609 Rev 1.5 and s/ns J2IAHN000392, J2IAHN000393. I paid $140 a piece after Asus rebate.

My two working 2020 Vietnam units have p/n 962-00101-13A4004(US) and no Rev noted.

If the issues were defective components or assembly, I would not expect the product design and outward revision level to change.

That's not much to go on...

OE