What's new

RTRMON RTRMON v1.6.8 -Mar 17, 2024- Monitor your Router's Health (New: AMTM, Network Conn/Bandwidth/Diag + Port Scanner, GT-AXE/AX + Speedtest)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not sure if this has been covered (Tried to search through this thread), but 2 things happen when i start this app.
1. The choices that I select never appear on screen. that is, if I select "m1" to start the monitor, the "m1" is never painted on the screen If I exit back to AMTM, then those choices are never echoed on the screen until I restart the SSH session
2. when I press "N" (next screen) It takes me back to the RTMon Setup screen. If I press "P" previous screen it will go to page 6/6, but if I press "P" again, it takes me back to the setup screen.
Router is RT-AX88U, SSH Client is latest Putty
Hi @ottofreud ... I can't seem to duplicate your issue on my end... I'm using Putty as well. Here's the steps I'm taking - 2 different scenarios:

AMTM scenario:
1.) Open AMTM
2.) Type: rt (open RTRMOM)
3.) Type: m1 (enter monitoring mode)
4.) RTRMON starts up and gathers initial stats
5.) Pressing: N (advances to page 2/6 or 3/6 etc.)
6.) Pressing: P (moves back to page 6/6 or 5/6 etc.)
7.) Pressing; E (exits RTRMON back to setup)
8.) Pressing: E (again, exits back to AMTM)

Plain SSH scenario:
1.) Open a new SSH window
2.) Type: rtrmon -monitor (Opens RTRMON in monitoring mode)
3.) RTRMON starts up and gathers initial stats
4.) Pressing: N (advances to page 2/6 or 3/6 etc.)
5.) Pressing: P (moves back to page 6/6 or 5/6 etc.)
6.) Pressing; E (exits RTRMON back to SSH window)

Could you please elaborate on how you're running it on your end?

Hi @ottofreud ... I can't seem to duplicate your issue on my end... I'm using Putty as well. Here's the steps I'm taking - 2 different scenarios:

AMTM scenario:
1.) Open AMTM

Plain SSH scenario:

I believe that RTRMON must be counting seconds in order to accept commands such as N, P, or E.

Not sure if this has been covered (Tried to search through this thread), but 2 things happen when i start this app.
1. The choices that I select never appear on screen. that is, if I select "m1" to start the monitor, the "m1" is never painted on the screen If I exit back to AMTM, then those choices are never echoed on the screen until I restart the SSH session
2. when I press "N" (next screen) It takes me back to the RTMon Setup screen. If I press "P" previous screen it will go to page 6/6, but if I press "P" again, it takes me back to the setup screen.
Router is RT-AX88U, SSH Client is latest Putty
I just re-read your post, and just realized that you meant that the keystrokes aren't echoing/displaying on screen when you type them! Ahhh... that's a whole different issue. ;) There's something wonky with your Putty settings if that's the case. I found this article that shows some suggested settings to ensure that the keyboard is reflected right. The other thing you might try is uninstalling/reinstalling, and setting Putty back to default settings? Are you using a non-standard or non-english keyboard or language layout by chance? Perhaps the letters you are typing in aren't conforming to what RTRMON is expecting? Other than that, not quite sure - this is the first time I've run into this issue.

AMTM scenario:
1.) Open AMTM

Plain SSH scenario:

1.) Open AMTM
5.) Pressing: N take me to the setup screen

1670343266885.png

6.) Pressing: P (moves back to page 6/6 )

1670343413038.png

6a.) Pressing P again takes me back to the setup screen

1670343311156.png

7.) Pressing; E from 1/6 or 6/6 (exits RTRMON back to setup)

i got the screen echoing issue fixed (thank you), but navigation between screens is still wonky (maybe more putty-foo? )

I'll play around with putty some more

Thanks!

i got the screen echoing issue fixed (thank you), but navigation between screens is still wonky (maybe more putty-foo? )

Thanks!
Let me know if you get this working? I still cannot duplicate this... I have a feeling it's more putty-foo... ;)

There are some more opportunities for me to optimize this a bit more though... there's some code that runs right before the timer kicks on ... as soon as you see the timer, it's expecting keyboard input... but not before. I'm going to work on this more...

Let me know if you get this working? I still cannot duplicate this... I have a feeling it's more putty-foo... ;)

There are some more opportunities for me to optimize this a bit more though... there's some code that runs right before the timer kicks on ... as soon as you see the timer, it's expecting keyboard input... but not before. I'm going to work on this more...
Somethings I tried:
Ran a different SSH Client (Kitty) -- No luck
Reset the SSH port back to 22 -- No Luck
Tried Kitty and Putty from a different PC -- No Luck
Tried to install and run RTR on my AIMesh Node -- same problem with navigation of screens
Reset Putty to defaults -- allows me to use the "P" (Previous screen) to get to pages 6,5,4,3, but when I try to go to 2, it sends me back to the setup screen. When I use "P" to go to 6,5,4,3, the "N" button will allow me to go forward. Until I try to get to screen 2

Screen 2 is the issue. Whether I use "N" or "P" all the screens work, but I try to access screen 2, I get sent back to the setup screen.
My setup is AIMesh, so not sure if that is an issue.
Other things installed" Diversion, uiDivStats, FlexQoS, SCMerlin, Entware, email settings, reboot scheduler, swap file

Let me know if you can think of something else to try.

Thanks

Somethings I tried:
Ran a different SSH Client (Kitty) -- No luck
Reset the SSH port back to 22 -- No Luck
Tried Kitty and Putty from a different PC -- No Luck
Tried to install and run RTR on my AIMesh Node -- same problem with navigation of screens
Reset Putty to defaults -- allows me to use the "P" (Previous screen) to get to pages 6,5,4,3, but when I try to go to 2, it sends me back to the setup screen. When I use "P" to go to 6,5,4,3, the "N" button will allow me to go forward. Until I try to get to screen 2

Screen 2 is the issue. Whether I use "N" or "P" all the screens work, but I try to access screen 2, I get sent back to the setup screen.
My setup is AIMesh, so not sure if that is an issue.
Other things installed" Diversion, uiDivStats, FlexQoS, SCMerlin, Entware, email settings, reboot scheduler, swap file

Let me know if you can think of something else to try.

Thanks
Do you see any errors after it exits screen 2 and drops to the setup screen? Are you able to scroll back in Putty? The second screen deals with WAN, LAN and VPN IP4/IP6 addresses and traffic... could you be running anything out of the ordinary that I might not be considering?

The next step is going to get pretty messy and will generate lots of screen debug logs... if you're up for it, I'll shoot you a PM on how to configure, and see if you can share your debug output so I can take a closer look?

Last edited:
Do you see any errors after it exits screen 2 and drops to the setup screen? Are you able to scroll back in Putty? The second screen deals with WAN, LAN and VPN IP4/IP6 addresses and traffic... could you be running anything out of the ordinary that I might not be considering?

The next step is going to get pretty messy and will generate lots of screen debug logs... if you're up for it, I'll shoot you a PM on how to configure, and see if you can share your debug output so I can take a closer look?
You fixed it! I enabled scrolling on putty and it told me what was wrong. My Inet is Really slow as I live way out in the countryside. so i was setting my upload speed to 10.5 mps. Well, it hates anything but whole numbers for upload and download speed. I made those entries whole numbers and all works now.

Thanks for the help!

You fixed it! I enabled scrolling on putty and it told me what was wrong. My Inet is Really slow as I live way out in the countryside. so i was setting my upload speed to 10.5 mps. Well, it hates anything but whole numbers for upload and download speed. I made those entries whole numbers and all works now.

Thanks for the help!
WOW! What a great catch, @ottofreud! I'll have to see if I can check for exceptions like this! Thanks for letting me know! I'm so glad it's working for you now. :)

Last edited:
1.) Open AMTM
5.) Pressing: N take me to the setup screen

View attachment 46058
6.) Pressing: P (moves back to page 6/6 )

View attachment 46060
6a.) Pressing P again takes me back to the setup screen

View attachment 46059
7.) Pressing; E from 1/6 or 6/6 (exits RTRMON back to setup)

Thanks!
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O The terminal brightness!!

A few updates including support for the new Ookla Speedtest CLI binary, giving you a bunch more stats on those speedtests! Enjoy!

What's new?
v1.49 - (December 7, 2022)
- CHANGED:
Updated the script to point to the new Ookla Speedtest CLI version. Ookla updated the CLI (commandline-based speedtest executable) from v1.1.1 to v1.2.0. In order to update to the latest version, please visit the RTRMON config, disable/uninstall Speedtest, and re-enable/install it again. This will cause RTRMON to uninstall the old version, and download/install the new version. Thanks for the heads-up, @Matthew Patrick!
- CHANGED: As as result of the new Speedtest CLI, page 4 has been significantly modified to show additional information as low/high idle, download and upload latencies as well as download and upload jitter, hopefully giving you a better idea on bufferbloat.
- CHANGED: Modified the minimalist progress bar to show "[Selection? X]", indicating when it is acceptable to use a keypress, and added another banner indicating "[Refreshing Stats]".
- ADDED: The version number now shows when RTRMON is kicked off with the -screen switch.
- FIXED: The inputs on the config screen will now filter out any invalid characters, in the case someone uses decimals or accidentally adds letters. The temperature question will now also force input for C, K or F only now. Thanks to @ottofreud for working with me on this issue!

Download Link (or upgrade directly from within AMTM):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.49.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Significant screenshots:
rtrmon-1.49-p4.png

Last edited:
A few updates including support for the new Ookla Speedtest CLI binary, giving you a bunch more stats on those speedtests! Enjoy!

What's new?
v1.49 - (December 7, 2022)
- CHANGED:
Updated the script to point to the new Ookla Speedtest CLI version. Ookla updated the CLI (commandline-based speedtest executable) from v1.1.1 to v1.2.0. In order to update to the latest version, please visit the RTRMON config, disable/uninstall Speedtest, and re-enable/install it again. This will cause RTRMON to uninstall the old version, and download/install the new version. Thanks for the heads-up, @Matthew Patrick!
- CHANGED: As as results of the new Speedtest CLI, page 4 has been significantly modified to show additional information as low/high idle, download and upload latencies as well as download and upload jitter, hopefully giving you a better idea on bufferbloat.
- CHANGED: Modified the minimalist progress bar to show "[Selection? X]", indicating when it is acceptable to use a keypress, and added another banner indicating "[Refreshing Stats]".
- ADDED: The version number now shows when RTRMON is kicked off with the -screen switch.
- FIXED: The inputs on the config screen will now filter out any invalid characters, in the case someone uses decimals or accidentally adds letters. The temperature question will now also force input for C, K or F only now. Thanks to @ottofreud for working with me on this issue!

Download Link (or upgrade directly from within AMTM):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.49.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Significant screenshots:
View attachment 46108
My latency numbers don't appear to be populating, other than current idle latency. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 14.10.46.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 14.10.46.png
    474.1 KB · Views: 40
My latency numbers don't appear to be populating, other than current idle latency. Any thoughts?
Yep... you need to update the Speedtest binary. Easy peasy -- go into config -> disable/uninstall the speedtest functionality -> then re-enable/download and install the speedtest functionality... that will refresh and get that new binary on your box. Go back and run your speedtest. ;)

Yep... you need to update the Speedtest binary. Easy peasy -- go into config -> disable/uninstall the speedtest functionality -> then re-enable/download and install the speedtest functionality... that will refresh and get that new binary on your box. Go back and run your speedtest. ;)
That appears to have resolved that! Now for another question,,, It appears that my download latency and jitter numbers are high by a factor of 10. Ant thoughts?

Code:
Download     [ 1123 (Mbps)
             [ Latency: 187.746 (ms) | Jitter: 50.9771 (ms)
             [ Latency Lo: 19.836 (ms) | Hi: 454.844 (ms)

Upload       [ 41 (Mbps)
             [ Latency: 13.9887 (ms) | Jitter: 1.04516 (ms)
             [ Latency Lo: 10.38 (ms) | Hi: 29.541 (ms)

That appears to have resolved that! Now for another question,,, It appears that my download latency and jitter numbers are high by a factor of 10. Ant thoughts?

Code:
Download     [ 1123 (Mbps)
             [ Latency: 187.746 (ms) | Jitter: 50.9771 (ms)
             [ Latency Lo: 19.836 (ms) | Hi: 454.844 (ms)

Upload       [ 41 (Mbps)
             [ Latency: 13.9887 (ms) | Jitter: 1.04516 (ms)
             [ Latency Lo: 10.38 (ms) | Hi: 29.541 (ms)
Not quite sure what to recommend there, other than this is what I'm getting directly from the Ookla tool... you can try running it manually to see if you're getting different results? Here's how:

1. Open an SSH session, cd /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d
2. type "./speedtest"
3. You should see results appear

Not quite sure what to recommend there, other than this is what I'm getting directly from the Ookla tool... you can try running it manually to see if you're getting different results? Here's how:

1. Open an SSH session, cd /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d
2. type "./speedtest"
3. You should see results appear
Much different results:
Code:
# cd /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d
# ./speedtest

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Northland Communications - Syracuse, NY (id: 7093)
         ISP: Spectrum
Idle Latency:    18.01 ms   (jitter: 0.49ms, low: 17.51ms, high: 18.92ms)
    Download:   940.90 Mbps (data used: 1.1 GB)                                                 
                 23.83 ms   (jitter: 2.40ms, low: 18.32ms, high: 61.01ms)
      Upload:    40.85 Mbps (data used: 18.4 MB)                                                 
                 13.26 ms   (jitter: 1.55ms, low: 12.25ms, high: 44.42ms)
Packet Loss:     0.0%
  Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/...

Much different results:
Code:
# ./speedtest

Speedtest by Ookla

I agree....

Code:
SWOTR@RT-AX88U-C7C0:/tmp/home/root# ./speedtest
-sh: ./speedtest: not found

Much different results:
Code:
# cd /jffs/addons/rtrmon.d
# ./speedtest

Speedtest by Ookla

Yeah, I'm in agreement... I'll dive into this further... and see if I can make heads or tails of this... Thanks for noticing this!

Issuing a hotfix v1.50 due to a variable faux-pas that was throwing off the results... thanks to @visortgw for the catch!

What's new?
v1.50 - (December 7, 2022) HOTFIX
- FIXED:
Due to a variable name that was already being used, one of the UI figures was being misreported for the new speedtest results. Thanks much to @visortgw for catching this!

Download link (or download directly through AMTM):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.50.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!