What's new

running add-ons/scripts on JFFS partion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sicario

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

Since my JFFS partition on my previous router (AC68U) got corrupted, tried so many way to recover but in the end I still can't get it mounted. It makes me a bit afraid of using JFFS partition to run add-ons/scripts. FreshJR QoS was the only add-ons I used back then.

My question is, is it really safe to use JFFS partition to run add-ons/scripts? I have another router, but I'm hesitate and afraid to use JFFS partition to run add-ons/scripts because of that previous experience.

Thanks

The jffs partition is like any other piece of technology. They fail from time to time. It is the reason we do backups of any kind of media. The partition is not that big, use a script and use a cron job make a tar ball backup of it to your USB drive a couple times a day if loosing some data will cause a major issue. I have a rolling 30 day backup of my jffs partiton and USB key (stored on my local NAS).

Heck, over my last 30 years I have lost count of the number of drives that I have seen failed among family and friend (with most being shocked that such a failure was possible and "what about my pictures??").

The technology is today's nvram chips is very robust and the past issues of repeated writes wearing out the medium is not there anymore. Just think about the number of writes being done to the routers logs each day.

I have had the same issue with the /jffs not mounting after flashing an 386.1 alpha firmware. Format the jffs and you are good to go. Not a hardware failure.

Thanks for all the responses.

The technology is today's nvram chips is very robust and the past issues of repeated writes wearing out the medium is not there anymore. Just think about the number of writes being done to the routers logs each day.
So, it's safe to assume that safe to run add-ons/scripts, right?

I have had the same issue with the /jffs not mounting after flashing an 386.1 alpha firmware. Format the jffs and you are good to go. Not a hardware failure.
Unfortunately, mine is hardware failure. Been trying to format and factory reset so many times, still can't get it mounted.

My question is, is it really safe to use JFFS partition to run add-ons/scripts? I have another router, but I'm hesitate and afraid to use JFFS partition to run add-ons/scripts because of that previous experience.
You might as well abandon Asuswrt-Merlin or any router entirelyl since most use some sort of JFFS to store persistent files on the router.
Asuswrt-Merlin allows coders to add/remove/modify system files in a consistent and simple way. I am not aware of any other (third-party) router platform that has this simple and ingenious way of doing it. It can be automated as you may know with the abundance of third party scripts that amtm and non-amtm scripts provide.

You might as well abandon Asuswrt-Merlin or any router entirelyl since most use some sort of JFFS to store persistent files on the router.
Asuswrt-Merlin allows coders to add/remove/modify system files in a consistent and simple way. I am not aware of any other (third-party) router platform that has this simple and ingenious way of doing it. It can be automated as you may know with the abundance of third party scripts that amtm and non-amtm scripts provide.
I wasn't against Asuswrt-Merlin or any add-ons, it's actually the opposite, I'm really interested. My question was simply because I just can't afford to get my JFFS partition to get corrupted again, also because these routers aren't cheap things for me, especially from where I live.

I wasn't against Asuswrt-Merlin or any add-ons, it's actually the opposite, I'm really interested. My question was simply because I just can't afford to get my JFFS partition to get corrupted again, also because these routers aren't cheap things for me, especially from where I live.
Hard drives, graphic cards and other stuff in computers fail regularly. Phone or tablets break for their own reasons. It does not stop people from using them anyway. Heck, even cars break down sometimes ;)

A JFFS partition is just like any other type of storage device with a writable filesystem: it can potentially get corrupted due to crashes, unexpected reboots, etc...

However in your specific case, I see you list an RT-AC86U. Asus recently (a few months ago) resized the JFFS partition on that model, which led to filesystem corruption for a lot of users. As with any other type of storage, the solution is pretty simple: backups...

Thanks again for all the responses

Hard drives, graphic cards and other stuff in computers fail regularly. Phone or tablets break for their own reasons. It does not stop people from using them anyway. Heck, even cars break down sometimes ;)

A JFFS partition is just like any other type of storage device with a writable filesystem: it can potentially get corrupted due to crashes, unexpected reboots, etc...

Ok, I got it very clear now, besides the obvious

However in your specific case, I see you list an RT-AC86U. Asus recently (a few months ago) resized the JFFS partition on that model, which led to filesystem corruption for a lot of users. As with any other type of storage, the solution is pretty simple: backups...

Thanks for reminding me, I do aware of this matter.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!