What's new

Running Merlin on RT-AX82U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm getting my 82u today and wanted to see some custom firmware options as I was reading about the AIProtection having some major privacy concerns. Was really disappointed to see that it's not supported by Merlin, I think this is a great router and it fit my setup aesthetically a lot better then the 86u plus the price was good on it. Not sure why it doesn't deserve to be supported.

Nice to see that GNUton has taken up the torch on this, how does this firmware compare to Merlin?

Seems I always pick the wrong router for custom firmware. Had (well still do but it's going back) A linksys MR9600, it's got great hardware but Linksys give you bare bones firmware with no features at all plus no CFW support.
AFAIK AiProtection works on Merlin.
My builds are 100% Merlin builds. Where I can I just unleash some extra model-specific features (eg: repeater for DSL routers).

I am using DSL-AX5400 with a power rating of 12v 2.5a max at the back
I wonder if i can use the power adaptor for RT-AX82 with 19v, 1.75a?

I am using DSL-AX5400 with a power rating of 12v 2.5a max at the back
I wonder if i can use the power adaptor for RT-AX82 with 19v, 1.75a?
No, totally different voltage.

I have installed gnuton's Merlin and it works great, I'm just curious why the "Merlin Team," hasn't been able to or hasn't built a fw when Gnuton was able to. Thank you Gnuton, I haven't had any issues, it seems to be a full fledged and working Merlin build.

I have installed gnuton's Merlin and it works great, I'm just curious why the "Merlin Team," hasn't been able to or hasn't built a fw when Gnuton was able to.
Because there is no "Merlin Team", I'm working alone on this entire project, so I don't have the time or resources to support every single model on my own. Which is why I actually worked with Gnuton to put him in touch with Asus so he could cover that model.

Hi, I tried flashing my rt-Ax82u with your builds however, my router will restart and revert to the stock firmware for each of my attempts. Any advice and thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!