What's new

Running Merlin on RT-AX82U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I really hope Merlin firmware will support RT-AX82U in near future :)
Didn't know about Merlin firmware before I bought the router :(

See the sticky about possible new routers being supported. (I wouldn't hold my breath here if you need the RMerlin features/scripts possible with it).

Now that you know, sell the RT-AX82U and buy a supported model instead.

About | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Today, the RT-AX58U, RT-AC86U, RT-AX88U, and RT-AX86U are the only rational choices. :)

Last edited:
@Clark Griswald, thanks! And the RT-AX86U too. :D

(Edited my post above for the double 'AC86U recommendation).

Random question - my RT-AX82U has been running on firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_41700 for quite a while now, possibly ever since i bought it in January. Does this mean that the transition to the 386 codebase from Asus has now happened? Maybe Merlin support for this model now.... possbibly, maybe..... pls? :D

Random question - my RT-AX82U has been running on firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_41700 for quite a while now, possibly ever since i bought it in January. Does this mean that the transition to the 386 codebase from Asus has now happened? Maybe Merlin support for this model now.... possbibly, maybe..... pls? :D
Post above from @L&LD is exactly correct ... but here's an interesting thing ...
https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng
Scroll down to see supported models ...

It seems that @GNUton has adapted RMerlin's firmware for use on the DSL-AX82U ... so although his firmware will NOT run "as is" on your RT-AX82U - there may be a work-around at some point in the future?

so although his firmware will NOT run "as is" on your RT-AX82U - there may be a work-around at some point in the future?
Asuswrt firmwares are model-specific. You cannot run a firmware for one model on a different one.

Yea i just bought RT-AX82U current price is only 130€ (down from 290€) which is super low.
You all already answered my question, when will we get merlin on it, i hope we'll get it soon if possible.

:)

Asuswrt firmwares are model-specific. You cannot run a firmware for one model on a different one.
Isn't RT-AC2900 "same as" RT-AC86U, yet we still got merlin for it, but i guess that's just marketing "rename", 82u isn't just a rename of the router.

Last edited:
82u isn't just a rename of the router.
you are wrong

I bought AX82U from Ebay.
I hope Merlin firmware will support this router next year.
AX82U is on 386 branch from January. On the Asus support page there are 7 firmware on 386 branch.

same as" RT-AC86U, yet we still got merlin for it, but i guess that's just

you are wrong
If it is just a rename, then why can't we run merlin on it ? it has the same hardware except RGB lights ?

If it is just a rename, then why can't we run merlin on it ? it has the same hardware except RGB lights ?

Because the manufacturer wants to sell both AX3000 and AX5400 versions of it and the firmware is non-interchangeable.

it has the same hardware except RGB lights ?
That RGB controller is additional hardware, so obviously NOT the same hardware.

transformation is possible
but this needs to be done in several stages

and even after that you might get some problems

TUF3000 - AX3000 / AX58 are one family, the differences are minimal and easily corrected (but firmware cannot be supplied from another model without preliminary preparation of the device, a change in the factory configuration and the inclusion of some options is required
models with RGB can perform all basic functions, all additional types of lighting and gaming options are no longer there
the indication of interfaces may also not work, GUIO has other meanings there

.@Gnuton has a functional forked asuswrt-merlin rt-ax82u firmware that reduced a buggy build to minor buggy now. Check out .@Gnuton's github if you feel like helping him test out this firmware.

Is there a ssh command line so i can change wpa password and write it to nvram with commit ?

nvram set wl0_wpa_psk="test1234"
nvram set wl1_wpa_psk="test1234"
nvram commit

this doesn't work.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!