What's new

Running Merlin on RT-AX82U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi,
Yesterday i released an RT-Ax82U build that at moment doesn't have any known Major issue.
If interested, you can find the images at https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/rt-ax82u-latest.
Enjoy
Can you check and see if you can enable spaces in wpa passwords ?

Example:
WPA / WPA2 / WPA3 password: "iamthepassword "

at the end there's space.
This config is just rejected by the firmware.

All other routers work, dd-wrt, merlin for rt-ac86u, 68u, linksys, tp-link etc etc.
This is the first firmware that i see is rejecting spaces in passwords.

I'm really excited about the work on the ax82u, I think I'll wait a little bit longer until some of the issues resolve, however I'm very happy that you took the time to take up this project for the community! I was wondering if I were to try it do I just follow the same directions for installing Merlin on all other compatible routers?

I'm really excited about the work on the ax82u, I think I'll wait a little bit longer until some of the issues resolve, however I'm very happy that you took the time to take up this project for the community! I was wondering if I were to try it do I just follow the same directions for installing Merlin on all other compatible routers?
Yes, you install the firmware like it's done with asuswrt-merlin supported routers. The firmware building is different between gnuton and merlin. Same install route.

@Spc what' kind of error message do you get from the RT-AX82U when you set it? (I am at work now and I cannot test it).
I tested on my DSL-AX82U and that worked out although on a guest network.

@Spc what' kind of error message do you get from the RT-AX82U when you set it? (I am at work now and I cannot test it).
I tested on my DSL-AX82U and that worked out although on a guest network.
Try setting special password for wifi.
You type in your password and then space at the end, this is just an example.

Example:
"ThisIst3stPassword4 "

Copy this password without quotes, you'll see there's a space at the end of the password.

If you create a password with space at the end you'll get message:
Pre-Shared key can not contain white space!

If you use older firmware (asus official):
Version 3.0.0.4.386.43588
2021/07/29

Asus official link:

This is the last version that space at the end of the password still worked.

You can create a password with space in the end.
Password works on all clients.
After you reset the router space at the end of the password is gone, as asus doesn't write space at the end into nvram file.
nvram that gets loaded will load password without space at the end.

Maybe you can make this work on newer firmware / fork, or create a fork for 300438643588 that writes nvram file correctly.

I am using spaces in my password for better security from brute force attacks.

Thanks

Last edited:
@Spc is the latest stock firmware affected by this too? or is it just my Merlin builds?
Feel free to file an issue here https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues about this so that it doesn't get forgotten
@GNUton
Hi,
Yesterday i released an RT-Ax82U build that at moment doesn't have any known Major issue.
If interested, you can find the images at https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/rt-ax82u-latest.
Enjoy
Happy Holidays! Been following this thread and peeping your activity on GH for updates and any testing results. Any updates I'm overlooking or anything I can do to help? Thanks for taking this on @GNUton !

hello friends I am the owner of a tuf-ax5400 in practice the it seems they are all twins these routers only change the firmware? I read this interesting article where it gives a detailed description of the hardware.

You can’t upload RT-AX82U firmware on another model router, even if the hardware is similar.

You can’t upload RT-AX82U firmware on another model router, even if the hardware is similar.
ok! But ax58u / ax82u / tuf-ax5400 They have identical hardware except the 256mb storage chip, as soon as I have time I will go into it by accessing via serial

ok! But ax58u / ax82u / tuf-ax5400 They have identical hardware except the 256mb storage chip, as soon as I have time I will go into it by accessing via serial
They are not identical. And Asuswrt firmware images are model-specific.

as soon as I have time I will go into it by accessing via serial

Let us know what router you upgraded to after bricking your TUF-AX5400. :)

@GNUton has rt-ax82u_beta3 on his github. You have to compile it via docker. I can say it works great. It's getting better and better. Head over to gnuton's github site and check it out. I'm glad that someone like @GNUton can take some pressure off @RMerlin by developing forks of his firmware. Give it a try.

Hi there,
No reason to build anything in docker anymore! :D
Public betas for everyone for DSL-AC68U,DSL-AX82U and RT-AX82U.
With the new year i will be supporting some Asus ZenWifi routers too... so stay tuned! :D

For people lookiung at the code, commits have been cleaned up and merged to gnuton-master.

Happy new year everybody!

Happy New Year @GNUton! Thank you for your dedication!

Let us know what router you upgraded to after bricking your TUF-AX5

it's obvious I don't load the firmware ... but anyway from serial just to understand something more, it's not my first time I'm not a virgin !!! I only have a bit of rust after two daughters and a house move, I need to study the source on GitHub.

Last edited:
I'm getting my 82u today and wanted to see some custom firmware options as I was reading about the AIProtection having some major privacy concerns. Was really disappointed to see that it's not supported by Merlin, I think this is a great router and it fit my setup aesthetically a lot better then the 86u plus the price was good on it. Not sure why it doesn't deserve to be supported.

Nice to see that GNUton has taken up the torch on this, how does this firmware compare to Merlin?

Seems I always pick the wrong router for custom firmware. Had (well still do but it's going back) A linksys MR9600, it's got great hardware but Linksys give you bare bones firmware with no features at all plus no CFW support.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!