What's new

Running WireGuard Server and Multiple Clients Fails With PktRunner Error

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarryMuscle

I've been getting the following error in my log when I try to run the WireGuard Server and multiple WireGuard Client instances. The first two clients seem to start up fine but the third, fourth, and fifth trigger this error and even though they show as connected no data can be transferred over their connection.

Code:
Oct 16 22:12:03 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR pktrunner] runnerUcast_inetaddr_event,181: Could not rdpa_system_ipv4_host_address_table_add ret=-3^[[0m

This issue is repeatable even after a factory reset and minimal reconfigure. I'm doing this on a RT-AX86U Pro running 388.4 firmware

Thanks,
Harry

EDIT: This is definitely somehow related to also running a WireGuard server cause as soon as I disable the server and reboot, all 5 clients are able to start up.

How to reproduce:

Configure the WireGuard Server first with 10 clients and then configure all 5 WireGuard Clients, some of the clients will fail to start with the above message. Disable the WireGuard Server and reboot the router, all of the clients start, but try to start the WireGuard Server again and you'll get the above error message and the server won't start correctly (ie: no data can be transferred).

Last edited:
I've been getting the following error in my log when I try to run the WireGuard Server and multiple WireGuard Client instances. The first two clients seem to start up fine but the third, fourth, and fifth trigger this error and even though they show as connected no data can be transferred over their connection.

Code:
Oct 16 22:12:03 kernel: ^[[0;33;41m[ERROR pktrunner] runnerUcast_inetaddr_event,181: Could not rdpa_system_ipv4_host_address_table_add ret=-3^[[0m

This issue is repeatable even after a factory reset and minimal reconfigure. I'm doing this on a RT-AX86U Pro running 388.4 firmware

Thanks,
Harry

EDIT: This is definitely somehow related to also running a WireGuard server cause as soon as I disable the server and reboot, all 5 clients are able to start up.

How to reproduce:

Configure the WireGuard Server first with 10 clients and then configure all 5 WireGuard Clients, some of the clients will fail to start with the above message. Disable the WireGuard Server and reboot the router, all of the clients start, but try to start the WireGuard Server again and you'll get the above error message and the server won't start correctly (ie: no data can be transferred).
Then run the Asus firmware. RT-AX86U Pro : 3.0.0.4.388_23565-g3d79d4e

No issues here with the "Official" firmware.

Then run the Asus firmware. RT-AX86U Pro : 3.0.0.4.388_23565-g3d79d4e

No issues here with the "Official" firmware.
Unfortunately I need some features present in the Merlin version?

However, I am curious, how many WG clients are you running? Are you also running a WG server?

So I've been able to find a bit more information about this error. Apparently it's related to the router thinking it is out of IPv4 addresses. For example if you try to add an alias IP to br0 with the following command:

Code:
 ifconfig br0:0 192.168.25.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

you will get the following error in the console:

Code:
ERR: bdmf_attrelem_add_as_num#4251: system: status:No resources. attribute:ipv4_host_address_table  index:0 value:3232241922

and you will get the pktrunner error mentioned in the first post in the router log.

So I've been able to find a bit more information about this error. Apparently it's related to the router thinking it is out of IPv4 addresses. For example if you try to add an alias IP to br0 with the following command:

Code:
 ifconfig br0:0 192.168.25.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

you will get the following error in the console:

Code:
ERR: bdmf_attrelem_add_as_num#4251: system: status:No resources. attribute:ipv4_host_address_table  index:0 value:3232241922

and you will get the pktrunner error mentioned in the first post in the router log.
How can resolve this problem, cuz this happen to me, apreciate any help.

Code:

Thanks,
Harry

How to reproduce:

@karateca it looks like the OP may have determined the cause; however, I am not sure what's going on, but here are some troubleshooting steps:

• Double-check the configuration files for your WireGuard server and clients. Make sure that there are no syntax errors or typos in the configuration.
  • Examine the system logs on both the server and the clients for any additional error messages or warnings related to WireGuard. This can provide more context about what might be going wrong.
  • Ensure that there are no conflicts in IP addresses or subnets between different WireGuard clients and servers. Each client should have a unique set of IP addresses, and there should be enough subnet space to support the number of allowed clients.
  • Ensure that you are using the latest version of WireGuard on clients accessing your server. Updates may include bug fixes and improvements that could address the issue.
  • Check the firewall settings on the server and clients to make sure that WireGuard traffic is allowed. Also, verify the routing tables to ensure that traffic is being correctly forwarded.
  • Ensure that the system running the WireGuard server has sufficient resources (CPU, memory) to handle the additional connections.
  • Check the WireGuard related mailing list's or forums for discussions related to similar issues. Other users may have encountered similar problems and may have provided solutions.
  • Consider enabling more debugging options in WireGuard if available. This can provide more detailed information about the interactions between the server and clients.
Going by the OP's thoughts, it might be caused by either overlapping ipv4 assignment disagreements, the ipv4 subnet range being used by the wireguard configuration may be too small to support the number of clients attempting connection, or the maximum allowed client ipv4 addressing in the config does not match the amount of clients you are letting through via subnet range. Essentially any ipv4 addressing assignment issues stemming from the config file could be causing this issue. I use ipv6 on my wireguard configs, but I do this from my RPI -not the router. IPV6 addressing has alot more wiggle room when considering addressing assignments, and can freely be used internally with no problems.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!