What's new

Can RT-AX86U Pro Run Non Pro Firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HarryMuscle

I'm getting a weird pktrunner error on my RT-AX86U Pro (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...ple-clients-fails-with-pktrunner-error.87237/) and the only other reference to this error (on all of Google) is from another user with the same router model. So I was wondering if this might be an issue specific to this model firmware, which got me wondering if it's possible to run the RT-AX86U firmware on the RT-AX86U Pro router? Hardware wise the are supposed to be almost identical with basically a faster CPU in the Pro version. Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks,
Harry

if it's possible to run the RT-AX86U firmware on the RT-AX86U Pro router?

RT-AX86U firmware on RT-AX86U Pro - No. Different hardware devices.

RT-AX86U Pro doesn't have official Pro (3.0.0.6) firmware yet. Still in Beta stage.

Both routers currently have 388.xx (3.0.0.4) official firmware.

RT-AX86U firmware on RT-AX86U Pro - No. Different hardware devices.

RT-AX86U Pro doesn't have official Pro (3.0.0.6) firmware yet. Still in Beta stage.

I was planning on using 3.0.0.4 firmware actually but I'm guessing that doesn't change your answer?

Version 3.0.0.4.388.23285 for both routers perhaps has identical features, but different hardware drivers.

Version 3.0.0.4.388.23285 for both routers perhaps has identical features, but different hardware drivers.
The issue I'm running into is in the pktrunner which I believe is a driver, hence, why I was wondering if it's possible to use the non Pro firmware on the RT-AX86U Pro to try and rule out the drivers in that specific firmware being the cause.

Not possible. The firmware will be rejected. Forced will perhaps brick the router.

You may have to wait for Asus/Broadcom fix:

What about going back few firmware versions Asuswrt? Asuswrt-Merlin will be the same.

Last edited:
Anyone have any input on this?
As already stated, if you attempt to flash non RT-AX86U Pro firmware to the router it will reject it outright. Further you could potentially brick the router if you were able to successfully forced the wrong firmware onto it. So your options (for Asus firmware) are the following:
The latest official firmware: ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 3.0.0.4_388.23565
The latest beta firmware: ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 9.0.0.6.102.4856
The latest Asus-Merlin firmware: 3004.388.4_0

Check each version, if you haven't done so already, for the Wireguard error you are experiencing. Or roll back to earlier firmware versions and see if the Wireguard issue is still present.

As already stated, if you attempt to flash non RT-AX86U Pro firmware to the router it will reject it outright. Further you could potentially brick the router if you were able to successfully forced the wrong firmware onto it. So your options (for Asus firmware) are the following:
The latest official firmware: ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 3.0.0.4_388.23565
The latest beta firmware: ASUS RT-AX86U Pro Firmware version 9.0.0.6.102.4856
The latest Asus-Merlin firmware: 3004.388.4_0

Check each version, if you haven't done so already, for the Wireguard error you are experiencing. Or roll back to earlier firmware versions and see if the Wireguard issue is still present.
Thanks, I was able to get my hands on an RT-AX6000 and it gets the exact same pktrunner errors if you try to use all 5 WireGuard clients. Rolling back to 388.2 resulted in the errors too. So it looks like this is an issue that is present on multiple models and in multiple firmware versions but just no body has noticed so far except for me and Cornel. Maybe no one is actually using multiple WireGuard clients?

Maybe no one is actually using multiple WireGuard clients?

Maybe this home router is the wrong device for your requirements. Not going to ask you why you need 5x VPN clients/servers on a home router. Maybe you know better what are you doing.

I recently added a 86U Pro and made my regular 86U an AIMesh client. I did not want to rename all 51 of my IOT devices so I uploaded my 86U firmware to the 86U Pro and it worked just fine.

so I uploaded my 86U firmware to the 86U Pro and it worked just fine.
No, you didn't. They don't even run the same hardware. That firmware would have been rejected at upload time as not matching the target platform.

so I uploaded my 86U firmware to the 86U Pro and it worked just fine.
Please post a screen shot which includes model name and firmware version of such proof that you were actually capable of doing what normally cannot be done. The firmware checks for model when attempting to flash and won't flash non supported firmware intended for another model.

I did not want to rename all 51 of my IOT devices
Is it possible that what you uploaded was your config file (the .CFG file) rather than the firmware (the .w/.pkgtb file)? These are not the same.

Ah, yes. My bad. I uploaded the exported cfg file from my 86U to my new 86U Pro, not the firmware. This is what I meant.

Believe it or not, even I am not stupid enough to upload 86U firmware to 86UPro, lol.

Are .cfg exports generally compatible across similar Asus router models, like AX-->AX or AC-->AC?

You should perform a full reset on your new Pro. Do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

Do not import a backup config file from another router if you want the most stable and reliable performance.

You should perform a full reset on your new Pro. Do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

Do not import a backup config file from another router if you want the most stable and reliable performance.

I know I should but I am way too lazy to figure out and rename all 51 of my devices by MAC address. Although, I bet I can find a way to just upload MAC addresses via Telnet/SSH. However, it appears I'm too lazy to even search the forum, lol

Are .cfg exports generally compatible across similar Asus router models, like AX-->AX or AC-->AC?
It's generally not a good idea, as it may contain model-specific values that might cause issues down the road on the new router. Asus has never officially stated however if cross-model config sharing was supported or not.

OK, since you Merlin himself are telling me this, I am not going to exactly that and then I'll rename all my devices. I can export the client list to get all my MACs and names, so I guess it's really not that hard. Actually, I think I'll finally upgrade to Merlin firmware!

OK, since you Merlin himself are telling me this, I am not going to exactly that and then I'll rename all my devices. I can export the client list to get all my MACs and names, so I guess it's really not that hard. Actually, I think I'll finally upgrade to Merlin firmware!
If the goal is to preserve the DHCP reservations, you can copy the /jffs/nvram/dhcp_staticlist file between routers.

If however you mean the networkmap client list, I believe there are also files you can copy, but I don't know which off hand - other people listed them in the past in other posts.

I can easilt redo my 4 static DHCP reservations. It's renaming and selecting the right icon for all 51 of my devices that is painful. I haven't searched yet, but I exported the list so can just use that to get my nice names and icons for all my devices.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!