What's new

Samba performance very poor (AC68u, last stock fw)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

webbie

Occasional Visitor
Hello

After some tests I am concerned about my samba performance which is far from expected.

Setup. Last stock fw 3.0.0.4.385.20633, ethernet connection to a macbook pro (mojave). External disk connected to usb2. Samba defined in Asus.
My Ram with this configuration is pretty high. Around 50%.

What i observe;

1) Open a samba connection v1 via cifs://SMBHDD/Backup. I check in terminal that it is ok.

SERVER_NAME SMBHDD
USER_ID 501
SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED
SMB_VERSION SMB_1
SMB_SHARE_TYPE UNKNOWN
EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED TRUE
UNIX_SUPPORT TRUE
LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED TRUE

Then copy a 50MB file from macbook hdd to external disk through ASUS samba. What I see is that the first 10MB takes one second, then the next 10MB also a second. But then it slows drastically, and only increases 0.1MB every few seconds... Minutes to finish it.

2) I try the same but with samba 2: smb://SMBHDD/Backup. I check again:

SERVER_NAME SMBHDD
USER_ID 501
SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED
SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED
SMB_NEGOTIATE SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED
SMB_VERSION SMB_2.002
SMB_SHARE_TYPE DISK
SIGNING_SUPPORTED TRUE
EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED TRUE
LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED TRUE
FILE_IDS_SUPPORTED TRUE

Previously I've written [default] signing_required=no in numb.conf.

Then I copy the same file. And it does exactly the same! First 20MB in 2 seconds and then it takes forever to finish...

I have looked at the CPU and RAM usage. During the process, RAM is around 70% and CPU 1/2 are 20/80. Neither of them touches 100%.

Anyone can explain this? Why is it slowing so much? What can i try?
Thanks a lot!

Try plugging your drive into the USB 3 socket instead. Is your HDD a USB 2 device?

Test the transfer speed from other devices to determine whether it's the macbook that's the problem.

Wow. What a good advice.

Just today I have my work computer at home, a windows 10. I have connected to the ethernet, and transfer a 600MB file in 25 seconds. With a sustained rate of 25MB/s.

I could connect a USB3 in the other connector but first of all I should reproduce this in the mac.

This is an excellent result (I know that a NAS will get much more but for my use it will be fine)

Unfortunately mac doesn't seem to get this values!

Now I should find out if this is definite or I can improve it...

Thanks!