What's new

Saving router config via ssh command line

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dave14305

Part of the Furniture
Is it possible to trigger the save of the router's configuration via the ssh command line to a locally mounted USB drive? I am envisioning an automatic monthly backup of router's config since I am pretty bad at remembering to backup my config as I tinker with features.

Hi, trying to work this out where do I find "mybackup.cfg" to transfer it to my computer?

I'm not on Merlin (yet), do I need to be? The command worked, just got to find or access the file. I don't know what SSH commands are available etc. I just did a "cat" command on it, I belive that this the linux equivalent of the windows type command and that appears to be a binary file, is there anyway to get a backup as text?

Hi, trying to work this out where do I find "mybackup.cfg" to transfer it to my computer?

I'm not on Merlin (yet), do I need to be? The command worked, just got to find or access the file. I don't know what SSH commands are available etc. I just did a "cat" command on it, I belive that this the linux equivalent of the windows type command and that appears to be a binary file, is there anyway to get a backup as text?

You can use John's NVRAM save utility - https://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r26-2.19521/

If you just want the config for reference to look through (not for restore), you can run
Code:
nvram show | sort > myconfig.txt
If you use a tool like WinSCP you can find the files in /tmp/home/root. If you use PuTTY pscp.exe you need to specify scp mode in the parameters.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!