What's new

SB6183 Will not connect directly to laptop,, hmmm

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve40th

Regular Contributor
I have an older laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium, Sager NP5160 ( 9 years old, SSD hard drive, 8GB Memory, i7 first gen CPU) Intel 7260 AC network adapter ( Driver 18.33.14.3).
For the wireless I have used a TP Link Archer C7 v2 for quite some time.
I recently upgraded my Xfinity plan to 200 Mbps.. Phone on Wifi, Samsung S20 216 Mbps, laptop connected to TPLINK best is 133 Mbs, wifi off with Cat 6 cable.. Wifi on, same.
Xfinity asked me to connect directly to SB 6183. Nothing, will not connect at all.. Is this normal?
Suggestions?

I would not connect any personal device to a modem, particularly one with an out of support OS.

What is the actual CPU in it? What browser are you using to test with? Does rebooting it help? Does it hit higher speeds on another faster network? What antivirus are you running on it? Does disabling it for the speed test allow it to work faster?

It runs a i7 2630M 2.0Ghz
I used edge and brave for the tests.
I use Symantec Endpoint. I did not turn it off during test.
I just turned it off, ran a test, it was 144Mbps with Cat 6

That should be fast enough to saturate your ISP speeds, but it seems something else is limiting them.

Its weird how the phone can get faster speeds. Something limiting it?
I may try it in the morning too, see if maybe, just maybe its usage in area?

Xfinity asked me to connect directly to SB 6183. Nothing, will not connect at all.. Is this normal?

Yes. If you did not reboot the 6183 and the connected device after you made the change. Cable modems use and maintain the MAC address of the device connected to it. If you change that, the modem requires a reboot to set the new MAC address it now see's. Like wise it will also give a new public ip address to the new device requiring that device to rebooted to accept the new public IP.

Last edited by a moderator:

When you changed the device connected to the modem did you reboot the modem?
Comcast allows only one device MAC attached to the modem and that is the first MAC the modem sees after syncing.
So if you change from a router to direct to PC or direct to PC to a router or from a router to another router you have to reboot the modem to release the previous MAC or you will have no service.
You can get around this with cloning MAC but it is just as easy to just reboot the modem.
First MAC seen also determines your IP address.

The S20 phone is infinitely newer and easily more powerful than the laptop you're testing with.

Most times, a handheld mobile is not recommended to be testing wireless speeds, but in this comparison, the newer tech trumps the old.

The S20 phone is infinitely newer and easily more powerful than the laptop you're testing with.

Most times, a handheld mobile is not recommended to be testing wireless speeds, but in this comparison, the newer tech trumps the old.
Thats the only other tech I had available besides an ipad from about 7 years ago, but I wasnt about to turn it on and work with Xfinity anymore.. Once my phone tapped out over 200, I realized, maybe its time to invest in a new laptop..
I have programs on this laptop for tuning my vehicle. I may just use it as a work laptop for such things and get a new Sager..