What's new

spdMerlin Sdpmerlin Speedtests Inaccurate

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oOMrYairOo

Regular Contributor
Hey All, I've noticed that my speed test result is around 270 Mbps but when I run the speed test from the browser I'm getting 900 Mbps as my connection up gig down 100 Mbps up, I there a way to fix this? so that spdmerlin will show my full connection speed?

This is still as true as it ever was
If the speeds from this utility are significantly lower than those you see from the desktop app/browser test, the limiting factor will be your router's CPU. That being said, there is probably room for improvement/optimisation by the Ookla team in the CLI binary itself. Please direct feedback about speed issues to Ookla. There is nothing that I can do about them.

Clients running a speedtest where traffic passes through the router use the router's hardware acceleration, traffic from the router itself (as is the case in spdmerlin and Asus' own speedtest) do not use the h/w acceleration

This is still as true as it ever was

Clients running a speedtest where traffic passes through the router use the router's hardware acceleration, traffic from the router itself (as is the case in spdmerlin and Asus' own speedtest) do not use the h/w acceleration
thanks for the replay how I turn on the router's hardware acceleration? I don't see any option in UI
under sysinfo I have
HW accelerationRunner: Enabled - Flow Cache: Enabled

thanks for the replay how I turn on the router's hardware acceleration? I don't see any option in UI
under sysinfo I have
There is really not much more you can do. The cleanest way to get an accurate speedtest through your router is to hook up an actual laptop to an available LAN port on your router, and running a speedtest from there. As Jack mentioned above, you're limited to the underpowered CPU currently in our routers, and are unable to provide a true measure.

under sysinfo I have
Yea, as stated by both Viktor and Jack, You are limited by your routers limits. It isn't fortune 500 scripts on a fortune 500 router. Expect inadequacies inpart to the routers CPU and how the speed test are run.

I have an ax88u great router pushing 900+ Mbps on a PPPOE connection just wanna know why sdpmerlin showing 270+ Mbps, thanks anyway.

I have an ax88u great router pushing 900+ Mbps on a PPPOE connection just wanna know why sdpmerlin showing 270+ Mbps, thanks anyway.
Hopefully, now you have some kind of better understanding. From a separate device, your speed test pass through the acceleration hardware. On the router, your speed test rely on the routers CPU. That is the difference.
Good luck.

If you want to satisfy your curiosity, turn off HW acceleration on the router then run the speed test on a PC. While it might not drop to 270 Mbps it will be slower but the PC will be able to do better than the router because it has more processing power.

If you want to satisfy your curiosity, turn off HW acceleration on the router then run the speed test on a PC. While it might not drop to 270 Mbps it will be slower but the PC will be able to do better than the router because it has more processing power.
That is a good way to prove concept. I imagine while it won't be 270, it would still reside somewhere between 270 and 300(maybe 350).