What's new

Second router as access point for smart devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chrismsales

Occasional Visitor
I only know the basics so looking for some assistance. I have a heavy duty ASUS GT5300 that is our main router. It’s handling about 50 smart devices right now as well as our normal heavy load of streaming and personal devices.

I’m running the smart hub on the 2.4 GHz and everything else on the 5Ghz radios but wondering if it would be more secure if I plugged in my older ASUS N56U to have a separate network for the smart hub and devices.

My questions are:
1. Is this possible to do with the second router?
2. If so, would the second router in access mode allow me to create a secondary network that would provide additional security with the smart devices?
3. Does having a second router on the network really take stress of the main router?

We stream all media so the main router is heavily used and just trying to find ways to improve streaming performance. Was also wondering if the GT-5300 can run VPN on it to add additional security while streaming.

Thanks in advance for any advice out there.

I don't know how your smart devices work, but assuming that they don't need access to anything other than the internet and each other then the most secure option would be for them to connect to their own dedicated guest network on the GT5300 (with access intranet disabled).

Adding the N56u as an access point and connecting the IoT devices to that would be the least secure option because there would be no way of preventing the devices from accessing your intranet.

Using a VPN client on your router will have a detrimental effect on performance (even on the 5300) so it's not something you would choose to do for normal streaming use.

Thank you, I was not aware that I could do that with my 2.4Ghz channel.

I appreciate your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!