What's new

Selective killswitch on Asus Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rama

New Around Here
Hi,
I have an Asus RT-AC86U flashed with merlin and have just set up openVPN using Private Internet Access. I understand that you can use policy based routing to route devices with particular IP addresses through the VPN tunnel while excluding others. Can you do the same with the VPN killswitch? I.e. Only devices with certain IP addresses will not be able to access the internet when the VPN tunnel is down? I have a lot of smart home IoT devices that i want to function regardless of whether the VPN is up or down while i have other devices like my laptop that i only want functioning through the VPN

TIA
Rama

I have a lot of smart home IoT devices that i want to function regardless of whether the VPN is up or down

What about running a second OpenVPN Client for all IoT devices with Kill Switch disabled?

What about running a second OpenVPN Client for all IoT devices with Kill Switch disabled?

I didn't think of that, that's a great idea. I have about 25 IoT devices so rather than individually input all their IP addresses, I'm assuming I can set up one VPN client where i add the IP addresses for our laptops/phones and make the interface 'VPN' and then a second VPN client that includes the whole subnet (192.168.1.0/24) as interface 'VPN' but then add the IP addresses for the laptops/phones with interface 'WAN'.

Is this correct? Sorry if it seems like a stupid question, i'm just very new to merlin and VPNs

OK Thanks, i'll give it a go tonight. On a separate topic, I also have a raspberry pi running pihole connected to my router. Previously when i was just running VPN through the client on my laptop, the ads wouldn't be blocked when the VPN was running, only when i had the VPN turned off. If i run the VPN from my router instead, will this problem go away? I.e Will the pihole still block ads even though all internet traffic will be running through the VPN tunnel?

Will the pihole still block ads even though all internet traffic will be running through the VPN tunnel?

It depends on your VPN settings for DNS. You have to set in WAN section your Pi-Hole IP address as DNS, then on VPN section select Accept DNS Configuration Disabled. This way your VPN will use your Pi-Hole IP as DNS. But you don't really need Pi-Hole with this router. Diversion script runs on the router and does the same thing - DNS based Ad-Blocking.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-the-router-ad-blocker.48538/