What's new

Semi Smart Connect rules setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Skoven

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

I wan't to accomplish the following with my AC3200 tri-band router:
5GHz-2 band: AC-devises connect only to this band.
5GHz-1 band: 5Ghz (non-ac) capable devises connect only to this band.
2.4Ghz: all other devises that can't connect to 5Ghz connect to this band.

I am experiencing that AC/5GHz devises often stays on the 2.4Ghz band, which is really annoying, given that the 5GHz channels are always better (in my scenario).

I know a can just disable smart connect all together, and connect to individual SSID's, but i like to keep it simple for all the users, connecting to the router.

I guess smart connect can be configured to accomplish this - or perhaps there is another way to accomplish this, using one SSID? (which would be nice, since i will be able to set the control-channels manually then).
Can someone guide me trough making the correct settings to the smart connect rules?

I have attached the standard smart connect rule configuration.

Thanks.

Attachments

• smart.PNG
    smart.PNG
    288.8 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
An approach I did with a family member as he was having issues similar - SmartConnect disable, and then drive things manually...

He had a couple of Android (Samsung GS4) and a iPhone5 that were not playing well with SmartConnect... this was a couple of years ago, but it's working fine for him - the channel choices we did for him were based on a small site survey with InSSIDer, so one might have to make some other choices -

The big thing was to link one of the 5GHz radio to the same SSID as the 2.4GHz, and then the other 5GHz radio as it's own SSID - and if I recall, we did enable the Guest SSID for 2.4GHz and left it off the 5GHz side...

Radio -- SSID -- Channel

2.4GHz - "Wireless" - Ch 6
5GHz-1 - "Wireless" - Ch 149
5GHz-2 - "Wireless-Media" - Ch 48

Guest Network - "Wireless-Guest" on the 2.4GHz

Only reason for the Guest network - he work phone and laptop, keeping them in a sandbox away from the rest of the LAN based services...

The big thing was to link one of the 5GHz radio to the same SSID as the 2.4GHz, and then the other 5GHz radio as it's own SSID -
Thank you. But this would also mean that you have no control over which band (2.4 or 5Ghz) 5Ghz devises connect to right?

I am still looking for a solution where i keep the single SSID. I don't mind having smart connect on, as long as it will keep my clients on the configuration I explained in the op (when a client initially connects to the network, i don't mind if it connects to the 2.4GHz first, and is then moved to the proper band shortly after (and then stays on that band, unless it looses signal)).

Ok. I ended up going manual config and making 3 SSID's. This also enabled me to choose channels manually, which is good.

Do any of you know if it's possible to limit one of the 5GHz bands to AC devises only? So someone don't accidentally connect a "slow" N devise to the second 5GHz band.

Do any of you know if it's possible to limit one of the 5GHz bands to AC devises only? So someone don't accidentally connect a "slow" N devise to the second 5GHz band.

Not possible. Unless you just don't give them the password for the 'fast' network, of course.

Not possible. Unless you just don't give them the password for the 'fast' network, of course.

Ok. Thought it might be possible trough some command line or script, now that it cannot be choosen in the dropdown.

btw: side question: why can i choose "legacy mode" on a 5GHz radio? Doesn't legacy devises refer to old standards, and therefore only relevant for 2.4GHz?
Edit: Newer mind - found out that old 802.11a devises can connect to 5GHz. I set the "ac" 5Ghz band to "N/AC mixed" to avoid that.

Attachments

• AC.jpg
    AC.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!