What's new

Separate AP plugged into Router with AIMesh enabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MightyHandy

Occasional Visitor
I currently have a single SSID that my AIMesh is broadcasting for my entire home. But, I've learned recently that my roku's are wreaking havoc on the wifi signal. They use the same channel for wifi-direct connections to the remote control that they do to talk to Access Points. I want to host a separate access point with an old Netgear Router (acting as a switch AP), just for my old Roku devices. But, I'm worried it could break the AIMesh somehow.

Does anyone know if you can attach distinct access points onto a router that currently has AI Mesh turned on?

I currently have a single SSID that my AIMesh is broadcasting for my entire home. But, I've learned recently that my roku's are wreaking havoc on the wifi signal. They use the same channel for wifi-direct connections to the remote control that they do to talk to Access Points. I want to host a separate access point with an old Netgear Router (acting as a switch AP), just for my old Roku devices. But, I'm worried it could break the AIMesh somehow.

Does anyone know if you can attach distinct access points onto a router that currently has AI Mesh turned on?
What makes you think the Roku remotes are messing up the WIFI? Sure, they use the same WIFI channel as the Roku uses but are a lot lower powered than your router. I have two Roku's at opposite ends of the house. I can see the remotes on a WIFI scanner but they seem to play nicely with other clients.
If you want to you can use MAC filtering to push the Roku's to the 2.4 GHz band. Yes, they will stream well there as they are (likely) no more than a 20 MHz bandwidth radio anyway.
To answer your question, yes you can add an access point. Just set the WIFI to channels other than the AiMesh system. And your AiMesh system should be on fixed channels: 5 GHz on channel 36 or 149 @ 80 MHz (for AC router) with 2.4 GHz on channel 1, 6 or 11 at 20 MHz.