What's new

Separate wireless connection for VPN access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Epi

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone!
I am a proud owner of Asus AC68U with HGG firmware, as well as Nord VPN user.

I am looking forward to create a separate Wifi by connecting to whom, all the traffic will go trough a specific country VPN. What I do not want to do, is have a separate router for it. Why I need this? Because I like to watch content from abroad which is country restricted on my TV (and it does not support VPN) in a variety of Samsung TV applications (like Netflix but not exactly this one). As I'm thinking right now, it could also be a wired connection, I'm not restricted to wifi in this case.

Currently I have two wifi networks set up, 2.4GHz and 5GHz, so is there a way of adding another one either wired or wifi connection from my router to TV which will be VPN enabled?

So I did a little research, but to be honest, this is too complicated for me to understand, how and will this work. Maybe someone can suggest me something or share a bit more detailed guide?

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Policy-based-routing
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...or-VPN-and-SSID-for-Regular-ISP-using-OpenVPN.

the explanation of your problem is a bit confusing.
If your Netflix accepts the ip of your VPN (mine does) just establish the VPN connection with that ip and run Netflix on it.
You can have all internet connections for all clients run over it or just 1 client and everything in between.

Last edited:
My TV neither the specific apps do not support VPN on their own, so I cant just switch the VPN on on the TV, which would be a simple solution. So I need a separate wifi/lan network where all traffic is behind the VPN so I can connect the devices straight to it.

don't know the specifics of your TV but why would you need a separate network?
Can you connect your TV to internet via your router?

I can connect my TV via router to the internet, but this is going to be a connection without VPN. I need a VPN in the middle between my regular internet connection and TV.

find out what your TV's ip is and route that IP address to VPN

upload_2018-6-28_15-41-35.png

In your case: TV - IPfromTV - 0.0.0.0 - VPN
Defining only this route would direct your TV to VPN leaving everything else to WAN

Your welcome, my directions assume a Merlin firmware, just now read you are using HGG firmware, dont know if they can applied there, sorry