What's new

Serial console port on L2 managed switch & iMac MAVERICKS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oymd

New Around Here
Aloha everyone

I have a TP-Link SG3109 9 port L2 Managed Gigabit Switch.

I am trying to communicate with it through my iMac for the past 2 days, but I have miserably failed.

The switch has a SERIAL PORT, and also a Web enabled interface.

I am unable to log on to it, as the IP address in the PDF manual is: 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and typing in the FIRST only brings up my SKY ROUTER'S web page, and the SECOND fails to bring up anything.

The manual says I need to setup the switch FIRST via the serial connector and to access the CONSOLE, so I bought off Amazon a SERIAL TO USB connection, which came with some PROLIFIC drivers.

Some research on the net pointed me to some more recent drivers for PROLIFIC PL2303 chip in MAVERICKS OSX, which I've downloaded and installed.

I also downloaded some terminal programs like COOLTERM and SECURECRT, BUT I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO USE THEM OR EVEN COMMUNICATE with the switch....I can't type anything in those terminal programs, and I'm at a loss!!??

I also saw some threads explaining how to use terminal, but again it's all code and very difficult to understand.

Can someone please explain a SIMPLE way to do this...

Or in plain English??

Many thanks

I also downloaded some terminal programs like COOLTERM and SECURECRT, BUT I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO USE THEM OR EVEN COMMUNICATE with the switch....I can't type anything in those terminal programs, and I'm at a loss!!??

You need to
1) Get the terminal program listening on the right interface (you're on your own there, maybe it's called ttyUSB)

2) Define the parameters for the session:
Bits per second
: 38400 for TL-SG3109, TL-SL3452, TL-SL3428 , TL-SL5428E ;
Data bits : 8
Parity : None
Stop bits : 1
Flow control : None

Once these two are done, you should be able to connect and interact with the session.

You need to
1) Get the terminal program listening on the right interface (you're on your own there, maybe it's called ttyUSB)

2) Define the parameters for the session:
Bits per second
: 38400 for TL-SG3109, TL-SL3452, TL-SL3428 , TL-SL5428E ;
Data bits : 8
Parity : None
Stop bits : 1
Flow control : None

Once these two are done, you should be able to connect and interact with the session.

I'm currently stuck at finding the right drivers for my USB/SERIAL cable..!!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!