What's new

Serious problem with 2.4ghz and recent firmware versions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just on the 2.4 band, I turned off airtime fairness and implicit beamforming. This immediately solved my 2.4 connecticut issues.

But there seem to be so many variables mentioned by all of us, and everything is anecdotal, it's really hard to know what's what.

It can still be interference, the wifi divers can be handling interference differently. My theory is this is all due to the fix for KRACK.

You can try alpha2, it’s been very stable for me and a few others that had 2.4Ghz problems.
This theory would make sense seen as the next release included the KRACK fix. I will try Alpha2 just need my kids out of the house for a while to test. Thanks for your help.

same here, was running 384.5 for a week or two no issues, then poof, it started acting weird. including dropping connections to restricting access to internet.... I thought it was the ISP but it wasn't... rolled back to the stock asus and had to reset my router to factory... now working fine. Not sure what have happened...... only thing I run was that adams firewall script and asus merlin 384.5 on my RT-ac5300

Hi all the firware i am trying to impliment is Merlin and I am reverting back to the merlin 384.3, this is the most recent version that i have found to be stable. I understand that some people are suggesting that this could be due to interference, but this does not stack up as the router is in exactly the same possition the only thing that is changing is the frimware.
Thanks
Same here , no way it's interference as I'm in the sticks with nobody within a 1/4 mile , router works with 384.3 anything newer and no 2.4 band . 384.6 alpha2 (most recent build) worked well for 4 days then 2.4 stopped working , , reboot , reinitialize nothing helped

Hi initially had this issue which i posted elsewhere.
"
I am having similar issues,
Running the Asus ac3200, i upgraded to the 384.4 firmware.
I normally have 1x2.4 2x5g and 2 guest networks at 2.4 both the guest networks are bandwidth limited to 15mb down and 3mb up. all my devices are given static ip addresses and named in the lan/dhcp settings.
I have time scheduling set for 5 of the devices that use one of the guest networks.
last night after upgrading number 1 guest network would not allow devices to connect to it (Iphone) so i changed the password and name of the network this seemed to resolve the issue until i then discovered that number 2 guest network would not allow devices to connect to it (iphone, laptop) but allowed my phone to connect to it. I tried to rename and give a different password but nothing. the network is visible but will not allow connection states security issue. I then tried to setup a 5g guest network still the same issue. My son tried to connect to number 1 network and this will not allow him to connect but my daughter can still connect to number 1. My son is unable to connect to any of the guest networks.
This morning I switched off and unplugged the power cable and left for 5 mins. I rebooted and no devices could connect to any of the wireless networks. I had to get my wife to switch off and reboot as she was unable to connect her work laptop. this resolved her issues.I will know more when i get home.
I am going to try and remove all the guest networks and time scheduling firstly.
If this does not help i will revert back to previous firmware which i had installed until yesterday.
"
whe the each new firmware is released I try to adopt it, I do the 303030 reset I have tried to do this before I install after I install I have tried to flash and use the config file from the previous veriosn, tried to go through the whole set up procedure again. I have now tried every suggestion I can source but still nothing seems to allow my 2.4 g network to work unless I revert the AC3200 back to the 384.3 Firware where everthing is working fine.
30/30/30 reset should not be done , use initialize or restore .

Interference on the 2.4GHz band can come from a wide range of devices, including microwave ovens, Bluetooth devices, wireless speakers, etc...

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
That is true , but for 3 years never a problem , until this new 384 FW , and nothing has changed , phone microwave or bluetooth wise in those years , everything works with 384.3 , anything newer and no 2.4 radio

That is true , but for 3 years never a problem , until this new 384 FW , and nothing has changed , phone microwave or bluetooth wise in those years , everything works with 384.3 , anything newer and no 2.4 radio

Not saying that in your specific case the issue is external (since quite a few RT-AC3200 users have had problems, even tho it's working flawlessly for many others), just that it's something that people must always keep in mind when troubleshooting 2.4 GHz issues.

Doesn’t have to be *more* interference in your environment; if the firmware is handling interference differently (became more sensitive) then you can see behaviour change.

When you say “no 2.4 radio” what does that mean? From the web UI can you see it up and broadcasting?

Doesn’t have to be *more* interference in your environment; if the firmware is handling interference differently (became more sensitive) then you can see behaviour change.

When you say “no 2.4 radio” what does that mean? From the web UI can you see it up and broadcasting?
Just cannot connect at times , and when it does connect getting transfer rates of 128 Kbps , when I get between 18 and 23 Mbps with 384.3 . Also windows shows it's connected at 300Mbps , trouble is pages load at a snails pace , 2 minutes and transfers between computers , well hours for 1 GB

Not saying that in your specific case the issue is external (since quite a few RT-AC3200 users have had problems, even tho it's working flawlessly for many others), just that it's something that people must always keep in mind when troubleshooting 2.4 GHz issues.
I know , and it's not just your FW , Asus FW same results . Just frustrating as hell , can't track down the cause if the problem

I've been having major 2.4Ghz issues for months now on the 384 based builds on my AC3200 and threw in the towel and bought a Netgear R8000. I had zero wi-fi issues on this however did have lots of issues with IPTV not working alongside the awful firmware features so ended up sending it back. I then bought an AC88U in the hope that running the latest 384.6 alpha2 would leave me with a stable wi-fi network, unfortunately no such luck still suffering from 2.4ghz clients suddenly being unable to connect and it also seems to take a significant amount of time for the 5Ghz radio to come on line. The AC88U was set up from scratch. I've now gone back to the latest Asus stock firmware on the 88U in the hopes that this will give some stability. Failing that unfortunately I am going to have to move away from Asus as these wireless issues have been going on for far too long now (I know this is in no way Merlin's issue as he can only work with the GPL and binaries that Asus make available)

Merlin brings up a valid point. I can tell whenever my neighbour is nuking his snack as my 2.4 Ghz wifi stops until he is done. I had to move my router away from my window on his side of the house. Now only my wife can stop communication when she is making popcorn in our kitchen :)

Lots of info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2.4_GHz_radio_use
Similarly, I know when my son is downloading something big on his PlayStation because my wireless mouse freezes.:eek::D

I too have experienced miserable 2.4GHZ performance since upgrading my RT-AC87U to the 384 firmware (love the latest GPL and all the merlin stuff, but only the 2.4ghz has been a problem). I thought it was a hardware issue with the radio itself. I noticed very weird issues where it would not accept the password, to the network intermittently disappearing. I changed the channel, I even experimented with using only 20mhz

I started disconnecting all my 2.4 ghz devices to see if it was interference. I have a lot of smart plugs that run on that band. After removing 4-5 devices from the 2.4 wifi, it vastly improved with only one device conected, so it must be interference. I did a factory reset when upgrading from 382 to 384.x, so I'm just wondering if it is firmware upgrade (since my location and usage haven't changed for about 2 years)?

@RMerlin - Do you have any tips on how to troubleshoot if this is a hardware issue / how to reset the 2.4 ghz settings to default?

Similarly, I know when my son is downloading something big on his PlayStation because my wireless mouse freezes.:eek::D
Well unless someone is nuking dogs 24/7 that ain't what's happening here , besides nobody within 300 yards , doubt they have that strong a signal