1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Serious problem with 2.4ghz and recent firmware versions?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by dreadnought, Jun 7, 2018.

1. AntonK

AntonK Regular Contributor

Just on the 2.4 band, I turned off airtime fairness and implicit beamforming. This immediately solved my 2.4 connecticut issues.

But there seem to be so many variables mentioned by all of us, and everything is anecdotal, it's really hard to know what's what.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Tzameti35

Tzameti35 Occasional Visitor

This theory would make sense seen as the next release included the KRACK fix. I will try Alpha2 just need my kids out of the house for a while to test. Thanks for your help.

4. goatdog

goatdog Occasional Visitor

same here, was running 384.5 for a week or two no issues, then poof, it started acting weird. including dropping connections to restricting access to internet.... I thought it was the ISP but it wasn't... rolled back to the stock asus and had to reset my router to factory... now working fine. Not sure what have happened...... only thing I run was that adams firewall script and asus merlin 384.5 on my RT-ac5300

5. jerry6

jerry6 Very Senior Member

Same here , no way it's interference as I'm in the sticks with nobody within a 1/4 mile , router works with 384.3 anything newer and no 2.4 band . 384.6 alpha2 (most recent build) worked well for 4 days then 2.4 stopped working , , reboot , reinitialize nothing helped

6. jerry6

30/30/30 reset should not be done , use initialize or restore .

7. jerry6

That is true , but for 3 years never a problem , until this new 384 FW , and nothing has changed , phone microwave or bluetooth wise in those years , everything works with 384.3 , anything newer and no 2.4 radio

8. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Not saying that in your specific case the issue is external (since quite a few RT-AC3200 users have had problems, even tho it's working flawlessly for many others), just that it's something that people must always keep in mind when troubleshooting 2.4 GHz issues.

9. kfp

kfp Very Senior Member

Doesn’t have to be *more* interference in your environment; if the firmware is handling interference differently (became more sensitive) then you can see behaviour change.

When you say “no 2.4 radio” what does that mean? From the web UI can you see it up and broadcasting?

10. jerry6

Just cannot connect at times , and when it does connect getting transfer rates of 128 Kbps , when I get between 18 and 23 Mbps with 384.3 . Also windows shows it's connected at 300Mbps , trouble is pages load at a snails pace , 2 minutes and transfers between computers , well hours for 1 GB

11. jerry6

I know , and it's not just your FW , Asus FW same results . Just frustrating as hell , can't track down the cause if the problem

12. jernau

jernau Regular Contributor

I've been having major 2.4Ghz issues for months now on the 384 based builds on my AC3200 and threw in the towel and bought a Netgear R8000. I had zero wi-fi issues on this however did have lots of issues with IPTV not working alongside the awful firmware features so ended up sending it back. I then bought an AC88U in the hope that running the latest 384.6 alpha2 would leave me with a stable wi-fi network, unfortunately no such luck still suffering from 2.4ghz clients suddenly being unable to connect and it also seems to take a significant amount of time for the 5Ghz radio to come on line. The AC88U was set up from scratch. I've now gone back to the latest Asus stock firmware on the 88U in the hopes that this will give some stability. Failing that unfortunately I am going to have to move away from Asus as these wireless issues have been going on for far too long now (I know this is in no way Merlin's issue as he can only work with the GPL and binaries that Asus make available)

AntonK likes this.
  13. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Similarly, I know when my son is downloading something big on his PlayStation because my wireless mouse freezes.:eek::D

14. thered

thered New Around Here

I too have experienced miserable 2.4GHZ performance since upgrading my RT-AC87U to the 384 firmware (love the latest GPL and all the merlin stuff, but only the 2.4ghz has been a problem). I thought it was a hardware issue with the radio itself. I noticed very weird issues where it would not accept the password, to the network intermittently disappearing. I changed the channel, I even experimented with using only 20mhz

I started disconnecting all my 2.4 ghz devices to see if it was interference. I have a lot of smart plugs that run on that band. After removing 4-5 devices from the 2.4 wifi, it vastly improved with only one device conected, so it must be interference. I did a factory reset when upgrading from 382 to 384.x, so I'm just wondering if it is firmware upgrade (since my location and usage haven't changed for about 2 years)?

@RMerlin - Do you have any tips on how to troubleshoot if this is a hardware issue / how to reset the 2.4 ghz settings to default?

jerry6 likes this.
  15. jerry6

Well unless someone is nuking dogs 24/7 that ain't what's happening here , besides nobody within 300 yards , doubt they have that strong a signal

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!