What's new

Serious problem with 2.4ghz and recent firmware versions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There are a few folks experiencing wireless issues with the new code base. I had the issue with my ac3100 and now my ac88. I'm trying stock right now and it seems to be fixed. If so, we will need to wait until the merlin gpl code catches up with the current asus release.

Was going to ping you to ask you how the stock firmware are treating you, that’s good news :)

Did you need to factory reset? I just tried this and after the ASUS rebooted I see the 2.4ghz SSID (which is not unusual after a reboot I guess), but when I try to connect to it from my iPhone I just get a spinning circle and no connection. When I try to connect from a MacBook Pro, I get asked for the password, enter it correctly (I am absolutely sure), and get asked for it again - and so on, just like before. I will reboot the ASUS one more time, and then maybe a factory reset, before bailing on 384.3 as a solution to the 2.4ghz issue. Thanks!
Yes I did. I had the exact same issues.

Flashed my ac3200 back to stock firmware (3.0.0.4.382_50624) ... still 2.4 ghz connectivity issues on the higher channels. Lower channels (1,2,3 are no problem). Still think it is some interference issue in my house.

I also have a 3200 and have tried everything that has been suggested on these and other forums. I rolled back my firmware to Merlin 384.3 and have not had any problems with 2.4ghz for over a month.

Same for me. 2.4ghz was horrible with anything 384.4 or after. I could not get any device to connect to it as it was giving a wrong password message even after a factory reset and manual config of wireless networks. I reverted to 384.3 and its been rock solid.

everything great here on 2.4Ghz on an AC5300 on 384.5 after factory reset 2 hard resets , power cycle and manual config

Did some more research. Even went so far as to switch of all elecrtricity in my house and ran an extention wire from the shed in my garden to the inside of my house... still the same issue. Something is interfering with my wifi. My old WRT54g also has issues on the same channels. The strange thing is that inSSIDer doesn't show any networks on the channels were I have issues with !

Interference on the 2.4GHz band can come from a wide range of devices, including microwave ovens, Bluetooth devices, wireless speakers, etc...

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Interference on the 2.4GHz band can come from a wide range of devices, including microwave ovens, Bluetooth devices, wireless speakers, etc...

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Merlin brings up a valid point. I can tell whenever my neighbour is nuking his snack as my 2.4 Ghz wifi stops until he is done. I had to move my router away from my window on his side of the house. Now only my wife can stop communication when she is making popcorn in our kitchen :)

Lots of info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2.4_GHz_radio_use

At the moment I am running 380_69_2, the new code base for me was useless as far as the 2.4GHz band was concerned. Tried everything and eventually gave up and reverted back to 380_69_2 as it is the most stable for all my 2.4GHz clients.

At the moment I am running 380_69_2, the new code base for me was useless as far as the 2.4GHz band was concerned. Tried everything and eventually gave up and reverted back to 380_69_2 as it is the most stable for all my 2.4GHz clients.
I may be reverting back to the 380 code base soon too :( I just can't get my wireless network stable on the new code base. I even went back to stock for a week and replaced all of my gear to see if the problem persisted and they did.

I may be reverting back to the 380 code base soon too :( I just can't get my wireless network stable on the new code base. I even went back to stock for a week and replaced all of my gear to see if the problem persisted and they did.

How many 2.4Ghz devices do you have ? More than 10 ?

How many 2.4Ghz devices do you have ? More than 10 ?

I have some 30 devices spread between a router and 2 repeaters. The core router that is having the issues with wireless though has only some 8+ devices connecting to it now. Around 5 on 2.4ghz and 4 to 5 on 5ghz.

Personally I have 28 2.4GHz clients, mostly Wemo switches and wireless security cameras and a few other 2.4Ghz devices. On the new firmware my 5300 could not see any of them at all. Back to 380_69_2 and all visible again. While everything is working well on the "legacy" firmware I will not be touching it.

I have some 30 devices spread between a router and 2 repeaters. The core router that is having the issues with wireless though has only some 8+ devices connecting to it now. Around 5 on 2.4ghz and 4 to 5 on 5ghz.
Sounds like the same issue I'm having on my AC3200. Up to 10 active and powered up devices appear to be ok on 2.4Ghz then it wont allow any more to connect. If one drops off then any other can then connect. This appears to be a common issue so it sounds like a bug in the new code base - hopefully fixed soon.

Reactions: kfp
Hi initially had this issue which i posted elsewhere.
"
I am having similar issues,
Running the Asus ac3200, i upgraded to the 384.4 firmware.
I normally have 1x2.4 2x5g and 2 guest networks at 2.4 both the guest networks are bandwidth limited to 15mb down and 3mb up. all my devices are given static ip addresses and named in the lan/dhcp settings.
I have time scheduling set for 5 of the devices that use one of the guest networks.
last night after upgrading number 1 guest network would not allow devices to connect to it (Iphone) so i changed the password and name of the network this seemed to resolve the issue until i then discovered that number 2 guest network would not allow devices to connect to it (iphone, laptop) but allowed my phone to connect to it. I tried to rename and give a different password but nothing. the network is visible but will not allow connection states security issue. I then tried to setup a 5g guest network still the same issue. My son tried to connect to number 1 network and this will not allow him to connect but my daughter can still connect to number 1. My son is unable to connect to any of the guest networks.
This morning I switched off and unplugged the power cable and left for 5 mins. I rebooted and no devices could connect to any of the wireless networks. I had to get my wife to switch off and reboot as she was unable to connect her work laptop. this resolved her issues.I will know more when i get home.
I am going to try and remove all the guest networks and time scheduling firstly.
If this does not help i will revert back to previous firmware which i had installed until yesterday.
"
whe the each new firmware is released I try to adopt it, I do the 303030 reset I have tried to do this before I install after I install I have tried to flash and use the config file from the previous veriosn, tried to go through the whole set up procedure again. I have now tried every suggestion I can source but still nothing seems to allow my 2.4 g network to work unless I revert the AC3200 back to the 384.3 Firware where everthing is working fine.

I have had no 2.4 issues yet on my ac5300. I ran Johns fork on my N66u, and never had any issues either. For all people here that suffer with not connecting, if you have a dect cordless phone, switch it off and take batteries out of the hand set and see if that helps? Everything here connects, from raspberries up to no name android cell phones. I do not have Apple devices, so can't vouch for that.

I have had same issues on 2.4 with ac88u. 2.4 would drop off and I would have to reboot router. Flashed to the latest merlin 384.5 and it was fine for 30+ days then it stopped. Rebooted, and it broke again within 8 hours. Flashed back to 380_69_2 until the newer gpl gets merged.

Who’s releases? Merlin’s or stock? Which versions?
Hi all the firware i am trying to impliment is Merlin and I am reverting back to the merlin 384.3, this is the most recent version that i have found to be stable. I understand that some people are suggesting that this could be due to interference, but this does not stack up as the router is in exactly the same possition the only thing that is changing is the frimware.
Thanks

Hi all the firware i am trying to impliment is Merlin and I am reverting back to the merlin 384.3, this is the most recent version that i have found to be stable. I understand that some people are suggesting that this could be due to interference, but this does not stack up as the router is in exactly the same possition the only thing that is changing is the frimware.
Thanks

It can still be interference, the wifi divers can be handling interference differently. My theory is this is all due to the fix for KRACK.

You can try alpha2, it’s been very stable for me and a few others that had 2.4Ghz problems.