What's new

Wireguard Session Manager - Discussion (3rd) thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What is wrong with this one?
Code:
E:Option ==> create Samsung-S9 wg21 dns=local

***ERROR Invalid WireGuard® 'server' Peer 'wg21'
Dunno...works for me?

1653302143168.png

As per the error message

***ERROR Invalid WireGuard® 'server' Peer 'wg21
....do you actually have 'server' Peer wg21 defined to be able to bind/listen for the Road-Warrior device Samsung-S9 connection(s)?

Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==> peer wg21
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==> peer

Last edited:
Dunno...works for me?

View attachment 41367

As per the error message

***ERROR Invalid WireGuard® 'server' Peer 'wg21
....do you actually have 'server' Peer wg21 defined to be able to bind/listen for the Road-Warrior device Samsung-S9 connection(s)?

Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==> peer wg21
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==> peer
No i dont, how do i create that?
Nvm, saw the line now. Peer new wg21.
Thought the create command would do the whole process.

Handshake still can't be made. What am i doing wrong?

I have run these commands.

Code:
E:Option ==> import bahnhof.conf

[✔] Config bahnhof import as wg11 success

Peers (Auto start: Auto=P - Policy, Auto=S - Site-to-Site)

Client  Auto  IP                                          Endpoint                   DNS                                                  MTU   Annotate
wg11    N     10.0.117.180/24,fdab:1337:1337:117::180/64  wireguard.5july.net:48574  192.168.50.1,2001:9b1:8826::53,2001:9b0:4:2601::53,  Auto  # N/A

Peers (Auto=X - External i.e. Cell/Mobile/Site)

E:Option ==> peer wg11 auto=y

[✔] Updated 'wg11' AUTO=Y

Client  Auto  IP                                          Endpoint                   DNS                                                  MTU   Annotate
wg11    Y     10.0.117.180/24,fdab:1337:1337:117::180/64  wireguard.5july.net:48574  192.168.50.1,2001:9b1:8826::53,2001:9b0:4:2601::53,  Auto  # N/A

No RPDB Selective Routing/Passthru rules for 'client' Peer wg11

E:Option ==> 4

Requesting WireGuard® VPN Peer start (wg11)

wg_manager-clientwg11: Initialising WireGuard® VPN 'client' Peer (wg11) to wireguard.5july.net:48574 (# N/A) DNS=192.168.50.1,2001:9b1:8826::53,2001:9b0:4:2601::53,
        wg_manager-clientwg11: Initialisation complete.

E:Option ==> peer new wg21

Press y to Create 'server' Peer (wg21) 10.50.1.1/24:11501 or press [Enter] to SKIP.
y
        Creating WireGuard® Private/Public key-pair for 'server' Peer wg21 on RT-AX86U (v386.5_2)
        Press y to Start 'server' Peer (wg21) or press [Enter] to SKIP.
y

Requesting WireGuard® VPN Peer start (wg21)

wg_manager-serverwg21: Initialising WireGuard® VPN (IPv6) [fdab:1337:1337:117::180] 'Server' Peer (wg21) on 10.50.1.1:11501 (# RT-AX86U Server 1)
        wg_manager-serverwg21: Initialisation complete.

interface: wg11  EndPoint=98.128.186.110:48574                  10.0.117.180/24,fdab:1337:1337:117::180/64              # N/A
                peer: ipW9/ysMc9vQbg/x7WK/udnl06+NJioWZZ4XIqz4PQY=
                 latest handshake: 1 minute, 4 seconds ago
                 transfer: 2.69 MiB received, 169.19 KiB sent           0 Days, 00:01:11 since Mon May 23 12:51:28 2022 >>>>>>

interface: wg21  Port:11501     10.50.1.1/24                    VPN Tunnel Network      # RT-AX86U Server 1

E:Option ==> peer wg21 auto=y

[✔] Updated 'wg21' AUTO=Y

Server  Auto  Subnet        Port   Annotate
wg21    Y     10.50.1.1/24  11501  # RT-AX86U Server 1

E:Option ==> peer wg21 passthru add wg11 all

[✔] Passthru Routing rule (wg21) '10.50.1.1/24' via wg11 created.
        [✔] Passthru Routing rule (wg21) '10.50.1.1/24' via wg11 now ENABLED

Server  Auto  Subnet        Port   Annotate
wg21    Y     10.50.1.1/24  11501  # RT-AX86U Server 1

Server  Client  Passthru
wg21    wg11    10.50.1.1/24

E:Option ==> 3

interface: wg21  Port:11501     10.50.1.1/24                    VPN Tunnel Network      # RT-AX86U Server 1
                peer: hcrSi9lHDEavgd7n9De8ipPNo0+cromQ0HWmjuXcRFE=      10.50.1.2/32            # Samsung-S9 "Device"

interface: wg11  EndPoint=98.128.186.110:48574                  10.0.117.180/24,fdab:1337:1337:117::180/64              # N/A
                peer: ipW9/ysMc9vQbg/x7WK/udnl06+NJioWZZ4XIqz4PQY=
                 latest handshake: 5 seconds ago
                 transfer: 2.50 MiB received, 273.84 KiB sent           0 Days, 00:02:14 since Mon May 23 12:59:30 2022 >>>>>>

In between there i ran create Samsung-S9 wg21

Last edited:
Handshake still can't be made. What am i doing wrong?
Server will not work (out of the box) when you have a Wireguard Internet Client in Auto=Y(ALL) mode. simply because the server tries to communicate over VPN as you have selected the default route to be over wg11.
https://github.com/ZebMcKayhan/WireguardManager#default-or-policy-routing

put wg11 in policy mode (auto=P) and add a rule for your entire LAN (if you wish)... Then your server wg21 will still be able to have it's tunnel communication to WAN as this is how you would like to connect your phone/client to it...
https://github.com/ZebMcKayhan/WireguardManager#create-rules-in-wgm

Then passthrough to send wg21 clients out wg11 instead of WAN, but the Wireguard tunnel MUST be over WAN for the tunnel to work.

if you insist of keeping wg11 in auto=Y (All) mode, then there is an un-tested work-around here:
https://github.com/ZebMcKayhan/WireguardManager#setup-a-reverse-policy-based-routing

Last edited:
No i dont, how do i create that?
Nvm, saw the line now. Peer new wg21.
Thought the create command would do the whole process.
By default, during the installation of wireguard_manager, the 'server' Peer wg21 is ALWAYS created; then immediately asks if you wish to create/bind a Road-Warrior 'device' Peer such as iPhone to it.

Clearly, if you have deliberately deleted 'server' Peer wg21 then the script has correctly responded as designed.

i.e. wg21 could indeed exist but fat-finger typos can and do occur so a request to bind a new 'device' Peer to say non-existent 'server' Peer wg22 shouldn't (IMHO) result in stupidly creating the mistyped 'server' Peer on each occasion.

Sadly my manky script only does what you request it to do rather than what you think it should do.

P.S. If it doesn't meet your exacting standards/expectations then you are under no obligation to continue to use it.

Commercial VPN providers have a lot to answer for when a paid subscription service is erratic either by design or simply oversubscribed etc.

Clearly you have needed to engineer a sophisticated resilient VPN environment...auto fallback to OpenVPN when WireGuard fails! - most impressive :cool:

....although I haven't noticed any blips with either the Mullvad nor TorGuard WireGuard tunnels that I use but DNS issues could have occurred although I don't bind Unbound thru either vendor.

P.S. I have now implemented (locally for as yet unpublished Beta v4.17b8) a new command to allow modification of the Endpoint (updates both the '.conf' and SQL database) to save having to delete/re-import.
The instability server issue was more than 6 months ago. I don't recall having any issue this year. I still see some flap count occasionally but overall it has been very stable. Most importantly no noticeable internet access issue.

By default, during the installation of wireguard_manager, the 'server' Peer wg21 is ALWAYS created; then immediately asks if you wish to create/bind a Road-Warrior 'device' Peer such as iPhone to it.

Clearly, if you have deliberately deleted 'server' Peer wg21 then the script has correctly responded as designed.

i.e. wg21 could indeed exist but fat-finger typos can and do occur so a request to bind a new 'device' Peer to say non-existent 'server' Peer wg22 shouldn't (IMHO) result in stupidly creating the mistyped 'server' Peer on each occasion.

Sadly my manky script only does what you request it to do rather than what you think it should do.

P.S. If it doesn't meet your exacting standards/expectations then you are under no obligation to continue to use it.
Yeah ok.
Did i step on a toe here?

Server will not work (out of the box) when you have a Wireguard Internet Client in Auto=Y(ALL) mode. simply because the server tries to communicate over VPN as you have selected the default route to be over wg11.
https://github.com/ZebMcKayhan/WireguardManager#default-or-policy-routing

put wg11 in policy mode (auto=P) and add a rule for your entire LAN (if you wish)... Then your server wg21 will still be able to have it's tunnel communication to WAN as this is how you would like to connect your phone/client to it...
https://github.com/ZebMcKayhan/WireguardManager#create-rules-in-wgm

Then passthrough to send wg21 clients out wg11 instead of WAN, but the Wireguard tunnel MUST be over WAN for the tunnel to work.

if you insist of keeping wg11 in auto=Y (All) mode, then there is an un-tested work-around here:
https://github.com/ZebMcKayhan/WireguardManager#setup-a-reverse-policy-based-routing
Ok.

I think i got it working now.
Code:
        Selective Routing RPDB rules

ID  Peer  Interface  Source           Destination      Description
4   wg11  WAN        0.0.0.0/0        192.168.50.1/24  To LAN Use Main
3   wg11  WAN        0.0.0.0/0        192.168.5.1/24   To Guest Use Main
6   wg11  WAN        0.0.0.0/0        10.50.1.1/24     To LAN Use Main
2   wg11  VPN        192.168.50.1/24  Any              LAN To VPN
1   wg11  VPN        192.168.5.1/24   Any              Guest To VPN
5   wg11  VPN        10.50.1.1/24     Any              VPN SERVER To VPN

Is there anything that is overflow in that policy?

Ok.

I think i got it working now.
Code:
        Selective Routing RPDB rules

ID  Peer  Interface  Source           Destination      Description
4   wg11  WAN        0.0.0.0/0        192.168.50.1/24  To LAN Use Main
3   wg11  WAN        0.0.0.0/0        192.168.5.1/24   To Guest Use Main
6   wg11  WAN        0.0.0.0/0        10.50.1.1/24     To LAN Use Main
2   wg11  VPN        192.168.50.1/24  Any              LAN To VPN
1   wg11  VPN        192.168.5.1/24   Any              Guest To VPN
5   wg11  VPN        10.50.1.1/24     Any              VPN SERVER To VPN

Is there anything that is overflow in that policy?
Rule number 2 and 4 is for your LAN right? they look ok, altough rule 4 is probably not needed since wgm adds route to lan in policy route table.
Rule number 1 and 3 for your Guest Network (YazFi?) look ok, remember that you also need to add a masquarade rule for Guest subnet in wgm userscript and add firewall rules for guest access to wg11 in YazFi userscripts: https://github.com/ZebMcKayhan/Wire...gm-to-route-different-ssids-to-different-vpns
Rule number 5 and 6 should not be needed if you use the passtru command, it is essentially what it does in the background (and add masquarade rule).

Last edited:
Inspired by @dave14305 work on FlexQOS where he duplicates ipv4 rules into ipv6 via mac-addresses autopopulated by the firewall, it got me thinking if we could use something similar for ipv6 policy routing.
Now, we don't have to go the long way of actually convert ipv4 to ipv6, if we can just get the associated mac-addresses into the ipset it would just be plug&play into wgm. Maybee this could be a way around devices which randomizes mac-addresses and dynamic ipv6?

I gave it a test, try to add my phone ipv4:
Code:
IPSET_NAME_mac=Test_Mac
IPv4Rule=192.168.1.38
ipset create ${IPSET_NAME_mac} hash:mac timeout 600
ipset flush ${IPSET_NAME_mac}

iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -s ${IPv4Rule} -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j SET --add-set ${IPSET_NAME_mac} src --exist
and without any active surfing it took like 5 seconds and my phones mac address was populated in the set.

The drawback may be that an ipv4 package is required now and then to refresh the mac-address but as we dont go to ipv6 perhaps we could remove the ipset timeout then it will be valid until next reboot and if the mac is changed a new ipv4 connection is needed to refresh.

Still most of internet is ipv4 so these packages still exist in abundance but in the future, that might change.

Pinging @archiel as he might be interested.

I am running into a huge issue. Traffic going through the Wireguard tunnel are topping out at 1-3Mbps. Horrific speeds. If I disable the Wireguard tunnel (wgm stop wg11) speeds are restored to their normal range.

Pretty standard install:
Code:
stop wg21
peer wg21 auto=N
import mullvad-us45.conf
start wg11

Can anybody please tell me why my speeds are sometimes awful? I have tried multiple different Mullvad servers and each has this issue.

This weekend I decided to replace my old AX1000 with the newer AXE11000.
I am using Mullvad as my VPN via Wireguard Manager. I have gigabit internet.
Speedtest done to the internet. Running wg only on the router. IPv6 not being used anywhere. Ive disabled wg21 (I use PiVPN on my Pi for Road Warrior).

1653846659650.png

Edit: looks like I fixed it by uncommenting DISABLE_FLOW_CACHE
Perhaps a good idea to auto uncomment this on the AXE11000 and the 86U?

Last edited:
I wanted to share a little script I wrote that randomizes which Mullvad tunnel I connect to. Let me know if there is a better way to randomize
It generates a random number and then connects to that interface.
It also makes sure that it doesn't connect to the previously connected tunnel.

In services-start, I randomize the tunnel at boot, and make it reconnect and randomize every day at 1AM.
Code:
cru a cycleVPN "0 1 * * * /bin/bash /opt/etc/wireguard.d/randomize.sh"
/bin/bash /opt/etc/wireguard.d/randomize.sh

In /opt/etc/wireguard.d/randomize.sh:
Note I am using policy mode. If you don't, you can remove the reference to policy. I am using 6 Mullvad servers... you can adapt it if you use more or less
Code:
#!/bin/bash
FILE=/opt/etc/wireguard.d/lastRandom.txt
if [ -f "$FILE" ]; then
    random=$(awk 'BEGIN { srand(); print int( rand() * (6-1)+1);}')
    read -r lastRandom < $FILE
if wg|grep -q 'wg11'; then
    /opt/bin/wg_manager stop wg11
elif wg|grep -q 'wg12'; then
    /opt/bin/wg_manager stop wg12
elif wg|grep -q 'wg13'; then
    /opt/bin/wg_manager stop wg13
elif wg|grep -q 'wg14'; then
    /opt/bin/wg_manager stop wg14
elif wg|grep -q 'wg15'; then
    /opt/bin/wg_manager stop wg15
elif wg|grep -q 'wg16'; then
    /opt/bin/wg_manager stop wg16
    fi
    if ! [ "$lastRandom " -eq "$lastRandom " ] 2> /dev/null; then
        #echo "Not a number"
        echo "$random" > $FILE
    elif [[ "$random" -eq "$lastRandom" ]]; then
        while [[ "$random" -eq "$lastRandom" ]]
        do
            #echo "Numbers are the same. Generating a new one"
            echo "$random" > $FILE
        done
    else
        #echo "Generating a new number"
        echo "$random" > $FILE
    fi
else
    #echo "$file doesnt exist"
    echo "$random" > $FILE
fi

/opt/bin/wg_manager start wg1$random policy

I also wrote another script that I run on my Raspberry Pi that reconnects a tunnel if it determines that Im not on VPN. It can also light up red a little USB called the blink1 when Im not connected to VPN.
In my Pi's crontab -e:
Code:
* * * * *       /bin/bash /home/pi/checkVPN.sh >> /var/log/pi.log 2>/var/log/pierrors.log
in /home/pi/checkVPN.sh:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
COUNTER=0
RETRIES=10
# Check if another instance of script is running
pidof -o %PPID -x $0 >/dev/null && echo "ERROR: Script $0 already running" && exit 1
IP=$(curl https://am.i.mullvad.net/connected)
KEYWORD='You are not connected to Mullvad'
echo "$IP"
for ((i=0; i<RETRIES; i++)); do
  if [[ "$IP" == *"$KEYWORD"* ]];
  then
    echo "$IP"
    let COUNTER++
    blink1-tool --red
    sleep 30
  else
    blink1-tool --off
    break
  fi
done
(( RETRIES == i )) && { echo "$IP. Failed $COUNTER times. Restarting VPN at $(date)."; blink1-tool --red; ssh 192.168.0.1 "/bin/bash /opt/etc/wireguard.d/randomize.sh" 2>&1;}

Last edited:
I am running into a huge issue. Traffic going through the Wireguard tunnel are topping out at 1-3Mbps. Horrific speeds. If I disable the Wireguard tunnel (wgm stop wg11) speeds are restored to their normal range.

Pretty standard install:
Code:
stop wg21
peer wg21 auto=N
import mullvad-us45.conf
start wg11

Can anybody please tell me why my speeds are sometimes awful? I have tried multiple different Mullvad servers and each has this issue.

This weekend I decided to replace my old AX1000 with the newer AXE11000.
I am using Mullvad as my VPN via Wireguard Manager. I have gigabit internet.
Speedtest done to the internet. Running wg only on the router. IPv6 not being used anywhere. Ive disabled wg21 (I use PiVPN on my Pi for Road Warrior).

View attachment 41472

Edit: looks like I fixed it by uncommenting DISABLE_FLOW_CACHE
Perhaps a good idea to auto uncomment this on the AXE11000 and the 86U?
Disable flow-cache is indeed nessisary on newer routers but as you are on gigabit internet it will also hit your internet traffic not going through wg vpn quite hard, altough the AXE11000 is a quite performant router. What speeds are you getting over Wireguard, and over WAN with flow-cache disabled?

Pinging @Martineau if he would like to take any action on flow-cache on the AXE11000 model.

I wanted to share a little script I wrote that randomizes which Mullvad tunnel I connect to.
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Disable flow-cache is indeed nessisary on newer routers but as you are on gigabit internet it will also hit your internet traffic not going through wg vpn quite hard, altough the AXE11000 is a quite performant router. What speeds are you getting over Wireguard, and over WAN with flow-cache disabled?
Wow holy smokes. You are right. It really kills the internet traffic without flow-cache. What can be done?
VPN is faster than non VPN without Flow control:

With flow-cache:
Through Wireguard:
1653859145647.png

Through WAN:
1653859392129.png

Without flow-cache:
Through Wireguard:
1653858997295.png

Through WAN:
1653859075838.png

Last edited:
Wow holy smokes. You are right. It really kills the internet traffic without flow-cache. What can be done?
I thought you would have better speeds with this router, atleast 400-600Mb/s. You're not running the speed-test on the router, right?

Sorry, no good solution to this one. Wireguard is not compatible with our router hw-accelleration, so it needs to be disabled one way or the other.
1. Convince @RMerlin to add the 0x01/0x7 fwmark to disable hw-accelleration on newer ax model firmwares, just as AC86U and AX88U has (only when TrendMicro is not used?).
2. Run wireguard on rpi instead.
3. Use openVPN instead

Last edited:
Disable flow-cache is indeed nessisary on newer routers but as you are on gigabit internet it will also hit your internet traffic not going through wg vpn quite hard

Pinging @Martineau if he would like to take any action on flow-cache on the AXE11000 model.
wireguard_manager is currently hardcoded to auto-Disable Hardware Acceleration aka Flow Cache for only two models:
Clearly the code clause doesn't take into account the actual line speed available for either model, so there could be possible exceptions where it isn't ALWAYS necessary to Disable Flow Cache?

So whilst Flow Cache is not auto-disabled on the AXE11000, as the OP has found, rather than have to wait until I can publish a patched wireguard_manager specific to a particular model, provision has been made to allow end-user customisation of the appropriate Flow cache status:

Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==> fc disable

Broadcom Packet Flow Cache learning via BLOG disabled.
    Broadcom Packet Flow Cache flushing the flows

Flow Cache Disabled
    (Use 'vx' command to uncomment config option 'DISABLE_FLOW_CACHE' to DISABLE permanently)
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==> fc enable

Broadcom Packet Flow Cache learning via BLOG enabled.
    Broadcom Packet Flow Cache flushing the flows

Flow Cache Enabled

However, I will add an advisory notice during the initial installation:
Code:
+======================================================================+
|  Welcome to the WireGuard® Manager/Installer script (Asuswrt-Merlin) |
|                                                                      |
|                      Version v4.17b8 by Martineau                    |
| Requirements: HND or AX router with Kernel 4.1.xx or later           |
|                         e.g. RT-AC86U or RT-AX86U etc.               |
|               USB drive with Entware installed                       |
| ******************************************************************** |
| *    NOTE: WireGuard® is incompatible with Hardware Acceleration   * |
| *          You can disable Hardware Acceleration using command     * |
| *                                                                  * |
| *                   E:Option ==> fc disable                        * |
| *                                                                  * |
| *          but you will most likely limit the throughput via WAN   * |
| *                  to match the maximum WireGuard® speed           * |
| ******************************************************************** |
|   1 = Install WireGuard                                              |
|       o1. Enable firewall-start protection for Firewall rules        |
|       o2. Enable DNS                                                 |
+======================================================================+
but at the moment I'd prefer not to have to maintain a formal list of new router models that are deemed incompatible with Hardware Acceleration.

Last edited:
I thought you would have better speeds with this router, atleast 400-600Mb/s. You're not running the speed-test on the router, right?

Sorry, no good solution to this one. Wireguard is not compatible with our router hw-accelleration, so it needs to be disabled one way or the other.
1. Convince @RMerlin to add the 0x01/0x7 fwmark to disable hw-accelleration on newer ax model firmwares, just as AC86U and AX88U has (only when TrendMicro is not used?).
2. Run wireguard on rpi instead.
3. Use openVPN instead
I was running the speedtest from a wired desktop, not directly on the router
@RMerlin can you please add the 0x01/0x7 fwmark to disable hw-accelleration on newer AXE11000 model firmwares, just as AC86U and AX88U has

I am also running Wireguard directly on the Pi (policy on router excludes this device so I am not doing a double Wireguard), with PiVPN for my phone as a Road Warrior, but I am running Wireguard on the router too to grab all my other devices that I didnt policy out (my desktop and Nvidia Shield I run the actual Wireguard client for split tunneling per-app)

@RMerlin can you please add the 0x01/0x7 fwmark to disable hw-accelleration on newer AXE11000 model firmwares, just as AC86U and AX88U has
The firewall code is already identical for these three models that you list.

Beside, if your application requires traffic to a specific port to be marked, then it's up to the application to do it. The router has no way of guessing that some third party script wants to use an arbitrary port and needs that port traffic to be marked. Only that script knows what port it's trying to use, it's its responsibility to configure the firewall as per its needs.

And also, there's no guarantee that marking that traffic would work, as this was a hack/workaround implemented 10+ years ago back in the CTF days. Flow Cache and Archer/Packetrunner (based on the router model) may very well work completely differently from CTF.

And also, there's no guarantee that marking that traffic would work, as this was a hack/workaround implemented 10+ years ago back in the CTF days. Flow Cache and Archer/Packetrunner (based on the router model) may very well work completely differently from CTF.
FYI, your "hack/workaround" works very well for marking Wireguard packages for the AC86U and AX88U and Flow Cache could be kept enabled. But it dont work for any other model and Flow Cache needs to be turned off. Guess that Broadcom changed the inner-workings here in such way that your workaround became less effective. The fact that the inner-workings are locked away in closed source pre-compiled blobs makes it impossible for anyone to do anything about.

One would hope that as Asus works on their implemention of Wireguard that they will find a way to enable Flow Cache…

FYI, your "hack/workaround" works very well for marking Wireguard packages for the AC86U and AX88U and Flow Cache could be kept enabled.
It wasn't implemented by me, it was done by either Broadcom or Asus.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!