What's new

Set Zyxel XS1920 as unmanaged switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fatsplat

Occasional Visitor
I have a Zyxel XS1920 smart managed switch https://www.zyxel.ch/de/support/download/201962_1/
I want to use it just as a unmanaged switch; like a QNAP QSW-1208. So I don't need it to be smart, I just need it to be simple so I can plug it in to extend an existing network.

Can anyone advise in simple terms how I might do this? I do have access to the Zyxel management interface; I just don't know what buttons to press.

I hope this question is clear but happy to provide any further information. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, the factory default configuration almost surely does what you want.

However ... do not leave it with the default password. If some hacker manages to get into your network, you don't want to give him free control of your switch.

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the note to change password (of course).

With factory default configuration, the switch creates a managed subnet on 192.168.1.1. I want the switch to extend an existing home network which I have set up on 192.168.2.1.

Here's a diagram of what the new Zyxel switch gives me by default:

[Home router managing medium-sized network at 192.168.2.1]
--ethernet cable-> [New Zyxel switch creating network at 192.168.1.1] --ethernet cable-> [My computer at 192.168.1.2]

This is what I want:

[Home router managing medium-sized network at 192.168.2.1]
--ethernet cable-> [New Zyxel switch on 192.168.2.2: no new subnet created]
--ethernet cable-> [My computer on 192.168.2.3]

Any constructive suggestions?

Just change the management ip on the switch. The switch in dumb mode shouldn't matter as it's not issuing DHCP.

Yeah, I don't believe a switch is going to "create a network". Only a router could do that. A managed switch does have an IP address for its management interface, and you want to put that into the address space defined by your router's network so that you can get to that IP conveniently. But changing that address should be as much as you need to do.

Yeah, I don't believe a switch is going to "create a network". Only a router could do that. A managed switch does have an IP address for its management interface, and you want to put that into the address space defined by your router's network so that you can get to that IP conveniently. But changing that address should be as much as you need to do.
Ah, I see. OK, I'll try that. Thank you.