What's new

Setting up a Lab

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redline122

Occasional Visitor
In "production", I have a TWO node AIMESH (RT-AC5300 and RT-AC88U) environment running the latest 384.19 stable build. Now that the BETA was recently released, I am considering using my "spare" 3rd ASUS (it's powered down and ready to be provisioned if either my two production nodes fail). I did determine that having this THIRD ASUS in production was overkill for my home...for now. Any thoughts on how I could setup a wireless lab without it interfering with my production wireless setup?

1. Without impacting the sanctity of the lab, can I dial down the power of the antennas on the RT-AC88U which would be used to test the beta firmware? I really don't need this lab to reach all over and interfere with my production wireless network's performance or accessibility.

2. Part of my testing would also include my current WAN ISP. Any recommendations on using a router/switch between my WAN modem and my two networks (production and lab)? Hardware? Configuration of network device (CLI/GUI)?

The simplest method is to double NAT your spare behind your primary router. I doubt you will will be able to get a separate Public IP from your ISP to use on your lab setup unless you pay for it.

All the router's functions will work in a double NAT setup with the exception or running any type of server. A server can be made to work but it may take some routing and/or iptables tweaks.

As for the WiFi use a different SSID and different channels from the channels used by your primary network's radios.

Appreciate the reply, @CaptainSTX . To keep the reach of the "lab" to a smaller space, where should I look in the Merlin interface to dial down the power of the antennas? I will attempt to find different channels...however that is become more of a challenge as many of our neighbors are also jumping across channels as well...But ah well...I suppose.

You can turn down the power if you want and you can just set the router on the floor which will also minimize the range.

Just depends what you are testing in your lab. I usually just turn off the radios in my lab setups as I'm not that concerned with the WiFi.

Or, the easiest way would be to just turn off the radios of the network you're not actively using/testing at that time. ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!