What's new

Setting up a server - info sources?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

argint

Occasional Visitor
Hi Folks....I intend introducing a server to our office for print management, hosting help desk software, domain controller, file service and group policy distribution etc...

Could anyone recommend any good sources of information for someone doing this? eg best practices and typical set ups, things to look out for etc?

Eg can we do it al lin one server, or should we have different boxes etc..

Are there good sites, forums or texts that anyone would highly recommend?

Many thanks in Advance!

Regards
Alan

Google will be your best friend :)

You should be able to run all or most of those services off of one server. You also have the option of virtualization, where you could install something like ESXi and run multiple OS's for different tasks to be performed.

I'd look into Microsoft Small Business Server....they have several versions from Premium, Standard, and Foundation. SBS has many nice features..it's a server "suite"....aside from being your Windows Server with standard infrastructure like Active Directory for user control, DNS, DHCP, file and pring sharing services..you get other packages like Exchange Server..complete with web access, and Remote Web Workplace portal so you can remote into your network and access your workstation..through a web browser. Also Sharepoint. And built in backup.

Or just look at Server 2008 Foundation....it's a baby version of Server 2008, designed for smaller setups.

Thank you for your responses.

I think I was concerned about having too much on one server in case it falls over, but hey - that's a risk we all take I guess and I will need contingency plans for that!

I think windows server 2008 standard might do us, since we have a solid hosted exchange service to remove that burden.

Eventually we would want our clients to VPN to this server to get GPO updates etc.

Have people had much success with Group Policy updates over VPN?

Is it even worth pursuing?

Regards
Argint