What's new

Setting up AIMesh with Asus RT-AX55 and GS-AX3000, also with USB mobile tethering.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

L3nny

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'm currently looking to replace my old trusty N56UB with a GS-AX3000.
I currently have an RT-AX55 in AP mode and the N56UB1 in router mode. The internet is connected to the N56UB1 by USB tethering from my phone at the moment.

I'm looking to have an AIMesh setup as the current setup is not ideal as both routers are connected via powerline adapter using 2 different wireless technologies on the same ssid (surprisingly I'm not having any issues).

So the first question is: Can I mix an AX3000 (GS model) with an AX1800 (AX55 model)? The Asus web site states you can mix different models but nothing about speeds.
And secondly: Does the GS-AX3000 support USB tethering? As stated above, I don't have an ISP at the moment and the entire house is using my sim's data. The Asus web site doesn't detail how you are able to utilise the USB interface.

Cheers.

So the first question is: Can I mix an AX3000 (GS model) with an AX1800 (AX55 model)? The Asus web site states you can mix different models but nothing about speeds.

Generally speaking, you can mix models. Speed is subject to too many variables to quantify and promote.

The nature of the beast... integrating discrete boxes into a so-called mesh system... suggests that you will have a better overall experience using similar mainstream boxes vs dissimilar niche/hobbled boxes. For instance, the AX55 does not support 160MHz bandwidth, so that may restrict the system to 80MHz max or 1200Mbps ax link rates vs 2400Mbps ax link rates... half as fast in the moment of WiFi transmission.

Use what you've got but don't build on it without doing your homework and choosing wisely going forward. The best approach, imo, is to buy main router upgrades and push existing boxes out to node duty... i.e. don't buy nodes. If you are just beginning, buy a router and a backup router for node duty.

Finally, one good router is best, if it then doesn't require adding a node to extend coverage.

OE

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!