What's new

Setting up aimesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Doug Brown

Occasional Visitor
I've read through some of the aimesh threads but need a little clarification. I'll have att fiber internet service, ONT-gateway-ac86u-zyxel switch-ac1900. The gateway will be set up in IP passthrough to let the 86u handle all routing.

I understand I need to set my ac1900p router as an aimesh node via wireless first. Then I can connect it via cat6 for ethernet backhaul to the WAN port of the ac1900. Should I connect the ac1900 directly to the ac86u or through the switch?

I have cat6 run throughout the house back to the switch location

Through the switch should be fine as long as it’s just a dumb L2 switch not going to play with any packets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Layer 2 = L2

Is it configured to do any management? If it is, that may break AiMesh. If it’s not doing anything (I.e. acting as a dumb L2 switch) you should be good.

I would just try it, it’ll either work or not!

Layer 2 = L2

Is it configured to do any management? If it is, that may break AiMesh. If it’s not doing anything (I.e. acting as a dumb L2 switch) you should be good.

I would just try it, it’ll either work or not!

It’s not managing anything yet. I may attempt setting up a vlan for our nest doorbell. But that will be later. The doorbell isn’t installed yet.

I understand I need to set my ac1900p router as an aimesh node via wireless first. Then I can connect it via cat6 for ethernet backhaul to the WAN port of the ac1900.
And there is no need to connect via Wifi first, should be fine on LAN with recent firmwares.

I use a Zyxel GS1900 together with a Asus aimech system as well, and this switch cause dropouts on the LAN. Really annoying, it seems that I need to buy another POE-switch to get rid of the problems.
The switch is configured to be completely passive.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!