What's new

setting up subnets

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bwana

Regular Contributor
1 router brings internet into the house(actiontec brand from verizon). it provides addresses in the range of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254. the first router also provides wireless access as well as access to the net for some devices (web server, ftp server,mail server)

another router(netgear) is set up with its wan port as 192.168.1.2. the second router provides addresses from 192.168.10.2 to 192.168.10.254. the devices connected to second router can surf the net and access each other.

I would like the devices attached to the first router and the second router to be able to communicate. My first experiment was to try and access the second subnet from the first. A device with the ip 192.168.1.5 could not see or ping anything on the second network behind the second router or even the router itself (192.168.1.2). I tried setting the mask for the first router to 255.255.0.0 but that did not help.

i want the wireless access to be in the first zone and have a higher security second zone. It is described here:

http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

I also would like to be able to go from the second zone to the first zone. Is it possible?

Wouldn't communicating with another low security subnet, defeat the purpose of having an higher security subnet all together? Can try Hamachi to VPN the two subnets into an cooperative network, can be turned on or off fairly easily one computer at a time for security too. Good Luck

Wouldn't communicating with another low security subnet, defeat the purpose of having an higher security subnet all together?

Yuppers!

OP, which model Netgear do you have?
A better solution to your goal, have a wireless unit which supports VLANs, multiple SSIDs, and wireless client isolation. There is a 3rd party wireless router firmware called DD-WRT, which allows features such as this. Some Netgear models support this firmware.