What's new

Setting up vpn on router AND device

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarkLondon

Occasional Visitor
I have the following set up: fibre - modem - tp-link er605 router - linksys mx5300 wireless mesh router (with 4 nodes of which 3 are wired). I haven't had a vpn and just subscribed to mordvpn. I had to get the er605 as the mx5300 doesn't support vpn on the router. I want vpn on the router in order to protect all devices. er605 supports openvpn. However, i have one device I would like maximum speed and would like to use Nordlynx which only runs from the directly on a device and not on a router. This device is currently wired to the mx5300. If I put vpn on the router and run vpn (nordlynx) on this one device, this would cause data to be encypted twice, once on device and again on er605. I can move wire that miw connects to LAN port on mx5300 to LAN on er605 and am wondering if it is possible to set up two tunnels on the er605, one for all trafic coming from all devices wired and wireless connecting through the mx5300 into one LAN on the er605 (call it LAN1) and another for the device directly connected to another LAN port on the er605 (LAN2). And finally, have LAN1 encrypted with the Nordvpn set up on the er605 using Openvpn, and LAN to passing through the er605 without being encrypted - and gave it get its vpn on the device (PC Windows 10) and via Nordlynx (that way thst device would have maximum speed). The two streams might go to different Nordvpn servers (there may be dedicated nordlynx servers, don't know). Sorry for long explanation and hope someone that can help takes the time to read this. Thanks . Mark
PS. I could upgrade to an er7206 if that would make a difference and hear from anyone who thinks er7206 is worth extra cost.

Let's start with the elephant in the room--consumer VPNs don't protect anything in any way other than making you seem like you're somewhere else in the world--that's it. It's akin to blocking your caller id--does nearly nothing.

And with that being said, you shouldn't waste your time on a vpn set up like you're thinking about.

Let's start with the elephant in the room--consumer VPNs don't protect anything in any way other than making you seem like you're somewhere else in the world--that's it. It's akin to blocking your caller id--does nearly nothing.

And with that being said, you shouldn't waste your time on a vpn set up like you're thinking about.
Hi. If that is the case, it would seem that companies like NordVPN, Surfshark, etc., have a very lucrative business model, snake oil so to speak. Do you have any links to corroborating evidence? I do understand that it doesn't make you anonymous connecting to a website where you have to give your real details. Only a small fraction of people are likely worried about the security of their online activity. And a company with different locations would likely set up their own internal vpn. As it is, turns out that the TP-Link routers I was thinking of using cannot be used as a vpn client with external commercial vpns, as they don't allow password authentication. They are meant for setting up a private intra corporate vpn.