What's new

Setup IPv6 in the LAN and route it to VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

marchelo

New Around Here
I didn't find similar discussion and sorry if I still do not understand IPv6 well.
Is it possible to setup VPN Client with IPv6 support and also support setup IPv6 in the LAN?

In other words:
Task: To get to some privacy by not disclosing real location (Real IP) and get rid of NAT by supporting IPv6.

Current connection: My ISP assigns - Routable IPv4, no IPv6 support.

Questions:
1. Is there VPN services which reserve a range of IPv6 addresses for connection?
2. Is it possible to allow devices in the LAN to get these addresses?

Maybe other solutions?

I didn't find similar discussion and sorry if I still do not understand IPv6 well.
Is it possible to setup VPN Client with IPv6 support and also support setup IPv6 in the LAN?

In other words:
Task: To get to some privacy by not disclosing real location (Real IP) and get rid of NAT by supporting IPv6.

Questions:
1. Is there VPN services which reserve a range of IPv6 addresses for connection?

Maybe other solutions?

If you don't understan IPv6 well I would not open yourself up to the security risks.

But to answer your question, yes, plenty of VPN providers out there with v6 support. Before ISPs supported v6 many used Hurricane Tunnelbroker, but there are many others now.

Ok, to some extent I understand IPv6.
I understand the risks of having routable IPs on devices.

But I can't understand if it possible to configure on Merlin.
Does Merlin VPN Client support routing IPv6 traffic?

In other words:

Questions:

Maybe other solutions?
Question 1) @drinkingbird has already correctly and helpfully answered.

Not quite the same as your situation but FWIW I have IPv4 / IPv6 Dual Stack from my ISP, use a 3rd Party VPN supplier and utilise their clients on any LAN device as / when needed. This is mainly because I do want to use both IPv4 and IPv6 from WAN, on both Lan and VPN but the answer to Question 2 is the main reason why.

Question 2) AFAIK Currently, VPN Client on the router is still IPv4 only and does not (yet) support IPv6 and/or Dual Stack IPv4 / IPv6. VPN Server does support IPv6, but VPN Client doesn't. There are a lot of previous posts / threads on this subject, including Merlin Firmware ChangeLog notes (& associated posts) that cover this too.