What's new

Should I get the ASUS RT-AC86U or GT-AC2900

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In fact GT supports 160Ghz bandwidth but in practice I have not seen any benefit even from 10 feet away on my phone or laptop connection speed.

You also needs a client that supports 160 MHz channels, and you need to be in a region where DFS channels are available, and you need a fairly uncluttered 5 GHz band.

I've seen at least a 200 Mbps performance gain on my laptop when switching from 80 MHz to 160 MHz - hard to get exact numbers since I was hitting the Gigabit bottleneck of all my other clients on my LAN when I was connecting my laptop at 160 MHz width.

You also needs a client that supports 160 MHz channels, and you need to be in a region where DFS channels are available, and you need a fairly uncluttered 5 GHz band.

I've seen at least a 200 Mbps performance gain on my laptop when switching from 80 MHz to 160 MHz - hard to get exact numbers since I was hitting the Gigabit bottleneck of all my other clients on my LAN when I was connecting my laptop at 160 MHz width.
Thanks, I used Galaxy S10 which supports Wifi6 and 160Mhz bandwidth but I am not sure if I had selected DFS channels which are available in my area. I will give it a try but for practical purposes since range is reduced it is not really practical option except for testing purposes in a home setting.

Thanks, I used Galaxy S10 which supports Wifi6 and 160Mhz bandwidth but I am not sure if I had selected DFS channels which are available in my area. I will give it a try but for practical purposes since range is reduced it is not really practical option except for testing purposes in a home setting.
I have s10 as well, it doesn't support 160 mhz wide bandwidth. Max is upto 80 mhz wide bandwidth.

Galaxy S10 is 80 MHz only.

Code:
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax (2.4/5GHz),VHT80 MU-MIMO,1024QAM

OK my bad, I thought it supported since it was Wifi6.
With QoS completely off I am able to get peak throughput hitting 550Mbps about 15 ft away.
hitting mid 400Mbps up to 30ft away.
For 1gb fiver QoS should not be used. Good only for up to 300Mbps connections

As an update, I did receive the US Edition of the 86u from amazon yesterday and I have completed the setup. I've installed 386.1_beta3 on both the 86u's and have made the Chinese version of the child node to the new US version of the 86U. The network is stable and seems to work well. No drops. Wi-Fi calls jump to the next router without any trouble or dropouts during the call. Clean setup.

I am a little confused as I always thought that you cannot mix and match the routers of different regions. In my case, it may have worked because the Chinese edition has the region change option.

My setup has the VPN on the primary router connected with assignments and the node just adds the range as expected. I would say this is much better than the velops etc.