What's new

Should I upgrade Asus RT-AC87

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

knfevg

New Around Here
Considering getting a new router instead of 5 years old AC87. The internet connection that I have is Cable 500/12 through an external modem (provides DHCP for the router). The client list is long including 3 phones and tablets, 2-3 laptops, 1 Cisco ASA box for office VPN (behind cisco there is a Cisco IP Phone and a workstation), NAS (only for LAN usage), Smart TV, AV Receiver and a media player. The last 4 are wired to lan, while all the rest are on Wifi (2.4 and 5). Cisco ASA is connected though a Wifi gateway.
I dont play games or do heavy down/up loading but I need a very stable router. My current router seems to "get tired" every few days and needs a reboot (together with the Docsis modem). Which models should I look at?

Today? RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U (particularly if you need the 8 LAN ports).

The RT-AX86U is the best hardware right now (with only 4 ports...) but I wouldn't consider it stable, yet.

Of course, all the suggestions above only come when the router is running RMerlin firmware. ;)

Today? RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U (particularly if you need the 8 LAN ports).

The RT-AX86U is the best hardware right now (with only 4 ports...) but I wouldn't consider it stable, yet.

Of course, all the suggestions above only come when the router is running RMerlin firmware. ;)
I would take a look at the AX86U. It seems to be providing that little bit of edge to my network.