What's new

Should I upgrade from my RT-AC87U? Go with the RT-AC1900P V3?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi - new here - is there some step by step instructions to set up the router to get the performance that you did? (I am not very network savvy) We are getting Fibre here in 2 weeks.

I run a pretty basic setup the following options changed from the defaults. I am able to get 940 Mbps speeds both way over my fiber connection on my 68U. One item that I seem to notice when browsing this site is people sometimes have issues with high speed PPPoE connections. Not sure it that pertains to you but something to be aware of.

AiProtection - Network Protection
All options on

Wireless 2.4 GHz Professional
Turbo QAM - Disable
Airtime Fairness - Disable
Explicit Beamforming - Disable
Universal Beamforming - Disable

Wireless 5 GHz Professional
Airtime Fairness - Disable
Universal Beamforming - Disable

LAN - DHCP Server
Two wired computers with Manually Assigned IP

LAN - Switch Control
Enable Jumbo Frame - Disable
Spanning-Tree Protocol - Disable

WAN - Port Forwarding
Two wired computers with port forwarding.

Let's just say... the next couple of quarters, perhaps over the next year - things will be very, very interesting - it's not just the IEEE side, even though the foundation in that shed has been set, but also the rest of the story...

It'll be fun to watch - and people will have to reset...

Now that its been a bit more than a year from your post, I guess its fair to say that the new options is all the mesh equipment that's hit the market? Its cool stuff in concept, but very expensive. A Orbi wireless mesh system that can adequately serve my house would require three units and would cost $550. Pretty insane cost. But I guess its a great set-it-and-forget it option for people who just want strong internet throughout their house.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!