What's new

Should my AX88u be rebooting?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

riroku

Occasional Visitor
How do you test a router for stability? I recently purchase an AX88U V1.1 from amazon on Oct 15. Everything seems to be working fine except the router seems to reboot itself at least 2-3 times a week it seems which does cause the network to go down for a minute or two. The longest uptime I seem to be getting is 2 days before it's reboots itself. I'm using Merlin 384.19, I haven't done any scripts or anything. Is this normal or should I return the router? I have rebooted a few time and still having the same issues. Everything seems to be ok except for the rebooting issues and sometimes the WAN connection will turn to 100mbps and I have to reboot for it to go back to 1GB. I have just ran stock Merlin since the router is new and I didn't want to bother with scripts yet to test for stability. Once I know it's stable then I will install diversion.

EDIT: I decided to follow this to reset the router https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88-packet-loss.62891/#post-563326

I also read of some people downgrading to 384.18 since some people report that it is more stable than 384.19 so I downgraded and did the router reset. Hopefully this fixes my reboot issues. If not then I will probably be returning it for a AX86u and having to forgo Merlin unfortunately until there is a release for that router

Last edited:
The test is just the experience it provides. Rebooting multiple times per week isn't a sign of stability.

If you followed that link's suggestions fully, you should not have any more issues (from a hardware point).

If you do have issues, you should provide any further information possible about the setup and configuration of the router and anything else attached to the network.

The test is just the experience it provides. Rebooting multiple times per week isn't a sign of stability.

If you followed that link's suggestions fully, you should not have any more issues (from a hardware point).

If you do have issues, you should provide any further information possible about the setup and configuration of the router and anything else attached to the network.

Nothing is currently attached. I bought it and immediately installed Merlin and running it stock. I have been running as is to make sure the router is stable before doing anything else as I bought this router over the AX86U for Diversion. I have JFFS custom off at the moment and I have AiProtection turned on. That is pretty much the extent of any settings I changed. Once the router is stable then I will probably install diversion.

As of right now my uptime is 9 hours after downgrading and following the full reset step by step that you posted. I did all of that this morning so hopefully in a week I can confirm if I need to return the router or not. Hopefully the router no longer reboots on it's own anymore

Nothing? What client devices are on the network?

Installing RMerlin isn't 'running it stock', do you mean 'at defaults'? Even with a brand-new router, after flashing RMerlin firmware, a full reset to factory defaults is required for a stable experience.

RMerlin firmware 384.19_0 and even the alpha's he has posted on his website is stable for many people. Downgrading did not fix the rebooting issues, the full reset did. ;)

To really test it, re-flash the 384.19_0 firmware and then fully reset it again. I'm pretty sure that will prove successful too if the hardware isn't at fault.

Nothing? What client devices are on the network?

Installing RMerlin isn't 'running it stock', do you mean 'at defaults'? Even with a brand-new router, after flashing RMerlin firmware, a full reset to factory defaults is required for a stable experience.

RMerlin firmware 384.19_0 and even the alpha's he has posted on his website is stable for many people. Downgrading did not fix the rebooting issues, the full reset did. ;)

To really test it, re-flash the 384.19_0 firmware and then fully reset it again. I'm pretty sure that will prove successful too if the hardware isn't at fault.

I did fully reset it previously on 384.19. I was still having issues for some reason. As of right now I'm running on 384.18 with 3 days uptime so far. Has been stable so far for me. The router hasn't rebooted itself and no connection issues yet. If it makes it 7 days without any problem then I may update back to 384.19 to give that firmware a try again

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!