What's new

Significant slowdown in download speeds when Routing Policies enabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrf0ster

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,
I am not sure if this is normal behavior or not. The Issue I have experienced is when I set routing policies under my VPN connection to activate the kill switch, I notice that when I do a speed test when connected to VPN on my PC, my download speeds reduce significantly.

For example, when the routing policy is not activated but I have connected to my VPN, I get a healthy 60 to 70 MB download speed. (In Australia that’s good lol.) But when I have the routing Policy section activated, my download speeds reduce significantly on the VPN devices (i.e. 5 MB download speed)

Example of 2 separate setups that slows the VPN Significantly:

SETUP1_Slow_DLS: (5MB)
Description: Source IP: Destination IP: Iface:
All Devices 192.168.0.0/24 0.0.0.0 VPN
PS4 192.168.0.156 0.0.0.0 WAN
Spare_PC 192.168.0.155 0.0.0.0 WAN

SETUP2_Slow_DLS: (5MB)
MY_PC_NIC1: 192.168.0.31 0.0.0.0 VPN
MY_PC_NIC2: 192.168.0.30 0.0.0.0 VPN
All_Other_Devices 192.168.0.0/24 0.0.0.0 WAN

SETUP3_FAST_DLS: (65mb)
All Devices 192.168.0.0/24 0.0.0.0 VPN

There is nothing unusual happening in the LOGS that I can see, so again I am not sure if this is expected because of tunneling perhaps? (I think that’s the right terminology)

It is almost like if you have more than 1 entry, something appears to go a little a awry when balancing the 2 different options?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Cheers Mark

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!