What's new

Simple Router/Switch questions – please give me suggestions.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheThirdMan

New Around Here
Hi!

I work at a small business that uses a DSL modem (Siemens, supplied by AT&T) connected to an 8-port Linksys router (BEFSR81) which in turn is connected to a Linksys 5-port switch (EZXS55W). Three computers that act as file servers and four workstations are connected to the router. An additional four workstations are connected to the switch. All the computers use the internet extensively, and we have shared printers (impact, laser and inkjet printers) connected to the workstations.

We will be adding three more computers to the network, so we ordered a TRENDnet TEG-S80G (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156251) switch that will replace the Linksys switch that we now use.

I understand that it would be ideal to get network printers and/or print servers, but our budget is tight and further investment will be difficult.

Questions:
1) Are there “best practices” to connect the file servers and the workstations to the router/switch?
2) Any suggestions on optimizing for fast internet/ file sharing?
3) We plan to retain the old Linksys switch and use it to “branch” a router or switch if necessary, is this okay?
4) Any known issues that I have to deal with?

If the above questions are too rudimentary to merit a reply, please point to resources that I should study.

Thank you very much.

1) Are there “best practices” to connect the file servers and the workstations to the router/switch?
See this thread.
2) Any suggestions on optimizing for fast internet/ file sharing?
Not for Internet. For faster file sharing, move up to Gigabit Ethernet.
3) We plan to retain the old Linksys switch and use it to “branch” a router or switch if necessary, is this okay?
What does "Branch" mean?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!