What's new

Site Survey does not return any results

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SCircuit

New Around Here
Running a wireless site survey on my RT-N66U does not present any results. All I get is this message "Searching for available networks, please wait..." and an endlessly spinning activity indicator, while the rescan button stays greyed out. This line shows in my system log "rc_service: httpd 526:notify_rc restart_wlcscan" I am currently running 3.0.0.4.354.29-Beta 1 firmware but I had the same problem when running 3.0.0.4.354.28-Beta 1. I know that there are at least 6 wi-fi signal sources within range. Any ideas?

And a related question, could someone please explain the site survey scan mode choices? Thanks!

fwiw, running a site survey on Merlin's 3.0.0.4.354.29 yields nine 2.4 GHz after 6 seconds on Active Scan.

Passive took about 5 seconds and yielded eleven 2.4GHz routers.

I've only started looking at this source a couple days ago (and not in the Active Scan area), so maybe someone else can help.

Here's a link describing the difference.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you for the informative links!

Yes, my radios are enabled and I tried both scan modes. I may have made some progress tonight. I had previously set my RT-N66U's 2.4 Ghz control channel to channel 1 based on site survey data I had obtained via my Nexus 10 tablet running Kevin Yuan's excellent Wifi Analyzer app (there are no 5 Ghz signals present). Changing my RT-N66U's control channel back to Auto and running an active scan site survey produced results which matched those I get with the Nexus 10. A passive scan still just spins the activity indicator endlessly. Switching the control channel back to 1 and running an active scan survey again produces an endlessly spinning activity indicator and no results. I would expect the scan time-out after a while but it does not. I would also expect to see scan results regardless of my control channel, but it seems to work only when my control channel is set to Auto.

So far I can't reproduce the issue.

When that happens, could you open your web browser's error console and see if there is any Javascript error? If so check the reported line. Maybe there's a local SSID that contains invalid characters, which breaks the Javascript. That would explain why you never get out of the spinning animation either.

I also have this same problem of an endlessly spinning activity indicator and have also tried all the suggestions, but to no avail. It used to work, but now displays the same behaviour on both IE10 and Chrome browsers.

I also have this same problem of an endlessly spinning activity indicator and have also tried all the suggestions, but to no avail. It used to work, but now displays the same behaviour on both IE10 and Chrome browsers.

Same question as I posted before your post - do you see any error message in the browser's error console?

Same question as I posted before your post - do you see any error message in the browser's error console?

There are no obvious Javascript errors in either browser's error console. However, I'm not very familiar with the error console so don't really know where to look once I bring up the console...perhaps you could advise further?

There are no obvious Javascript errors in either browser's error console. However, I'm not very familiar with the error console so don't really know where to look once I bring up the console...perhaps you could advise further?

Open the Chrome error console by pressing F12, then going to the "Console" tab. Then, open the site survey page, and give it about 15 secs to finish its scan.

Note any error message (there will be a red cross next to them), as well as the line number and the file (blah.asp).

Click on the file name - it should show you the line where the error occured. Repost this line here.

Open the Chrome error console by pressing F12, then going to the "Console" tab. Then, open the site survey page, and give it about 15 secs to finish its scan.

Note any error message (there will be a red cross next to them), as well as the line number and the file (blah.asp).

Click on the file name - it should show you the line where the error occured. Repost this line here.

Did as you said, but the scan never finishes on the survey page, just an endlessly spinning activity indicator... and, there are no error messages in the console even after waiting for a few minutes. The only lines displayed are:

'Document was loaded from Application Cache with manifest http://192.168.1.1/manifest.appcache Advanced_Wireless_Survey.asp:1
Application Cache Checking event Advanced_Wireless_Survey.asp:1
Application Cache NoUpdate event Advanced_Wireless_Survey.asp:1'

Last edited:
Here's what I see the first time I go to the Site Survey tab after logging in to my router via Chrome:
Site_Survey_Capture.JPG

And here's what I see if I leave and return to the Site Survey tab with Chrome error console displayed:
Site_Survey_w-Error_Console1.JPG

I get the same results using Opera and IE9.

See what happens if you reset the wireless driver by rebooting the router - sometimes the wireless driver itself seems to get stuck. In my case however the only thing that happened then was that every detected network returned a 100% link quality. I still can't reproduce the exact same issue reported here.

Also don't reload the page while the survey is in process, as this can also potentially lead to an undefined driver state. I've implemented safeguards against it, but there's no telling how foolproof these safeguards are (again, they were effective in my own tests).

I rebooted the PC then launched Chrome then rebooted the router and went to the site Survey tab and it looks just like the first image I showed above...

I have also made sure no Chrome extension were loaded.

I rebooted the PC then launched Chrome then rebooted the router and went to the site Survey tab and it looks just like the first image I showed above...

I have also made sure no Chrome extension were loaded.

Guess I'll have to replug my RT-N66U to try once again to reproduce the issue - I re-tested with the RT-AC66U tonight, and still can't reproduce it with that router. There must be something very specific that triggers the issue for you.

Last edited:
I have exactly the same behaviour as SCircuit too.

Running an N66U and having the same symptoms even after reboots and cold starts. Have tried in three differing browsers, none showing any error in Console mode.

Can you guys post your 2.4 GHz settings on the regular Wireless and the Professional wireless page please, so I can reproduce the same settings?

2.4 Ghz wireless general settings:

SSID: 8 characters long, comprising of: (). and upper & lower case letters
Hide SSID: No
Wireless mode: Auto (only b/g Protection: ticked)
Channel Bandwidth: 20/40 MHz
Control Channel: 6
Extension Channel: Auto
Authentication: WPA2-Personal
WPA Encryption: AES
Network Key Rotation Interval: 3600

2.4 Ghz Professional settings:

Enable Radio: Yes
Enable Wireless Scheduler: Yes
Date to enable radio: All ticked
Time of day to enable radio: 00:00 - 23:59
Set AP Isolated: No