What's new

Site Survey does not return any results

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can you guys post your 2.4 GHz settings on the regular Wireless and the Professional wireless page please, so I can reproduce the same settings?

Same issue found...

Code:
2.4 Ghz wireless general settings:

SSID: 4 capital letters followed by "2" ("ABCD2")
Hide SSID: No
Wireless mode: Auto,  (optimized for Xbox AND b/g Protection selected)
Channel Bandwidth: 20/40 MHz
Control Channel: Auto
Extension Channel: Auto
Authentication: WPA2-Personal
WPA Encryption: AES / shared key with letters, capital letters, numbers and "_" (25 digits)
Network Key Rotation Interval: 0

2.4 Ghz Professional settings:

Enable Radio: Yes
Enable Wireless Scheduler: Yes
Date to enable radio: All selected
Time of day to enable radio: 00:00 - 23:59
Set AP Isolated: No
Mulicast Rate: Disable
Preamble Type: Long
RTS Threshold: 2347
DTIM Interval: 3
Beacon Interval: 100
Enable TX Bursting: Enable
Wireless Multicast Forwarding: Disable
Enable WMM APSD: Enable
Enhanced Interference Management: Disable
Tx Power Adjustment: 140 mW

Ciao
Gerald

I tried applying the same settings as posted in the thread, and still can't reproduce the issue on my RT-N66U.

Can you guys check what this command returns?

Code:
nvram get wlc_scan_state

Ideally run it after a fresh reboot, or when it's been at least a couple of minutes since you tried a site survey. I want to see if maybe somehow that variable might be stuck in an intermediary state (it changes values depending on which stage of the site survey is currently underway).

I tried applying the same settings as posted in the thread, and still can't reproduce the issue on my RT-N66U.

Code:
nvram get wlc_scan_state

Ideally run it after a fresh reboot, or when it's been at least a couple of minutes since you tried a site survey. I want to see if maybe somehow that variable might be stuck in an intermediary state (it changes values depending on which stage of the site survey is currently underway).

Consistently gives me in both Chrome 27 and IE 10: 3

Last edited:

Code:
nvram get wlc_scan_state

3 for me.

Code:
nvram get wlc_scan_state

After fresh reboot: 0 (Zero)
After Site Suvey (active): 3
After Site Survey (passive): 3

Ciao
Gerald

Code:
nvram get wlc_scan_state

Same problem on my RT-N66u

After a fresh reboot commands returns 0, after a site survey it returns 3

Best Regards
Ocram

So that confirms that the survey itself does proceed as expected, going from 0 (idle) to 3 (completed). I suspect the issue might be more at the webui level then, where the webui fails to either retrieve the results or display them.

Try the following URL (adjust the IP to match your router):

Code:
http://192.168.1.1/apscan.asp

Does it return an array containing survey data? You might need to do a "View source" to actually view the result. Please post the results, I want to see if anyone has an invalid SSID in there breaking the Javascript code.

So that confirms that the survey itself does proceed as expected, going from 0 (idle) to 3 (completed). I suspect the issue might be more at the webui level then, where the webui fails to either retrieve the results or display them.

Code:

Does it return an array containing survey data? You might need to do a "View source" to actually view the result. Please post the results, I want to see if anyone has an invalid SSID in there breaking the Javascript code.

Hi Merlin
Yes it does, here it is a sample

sw_mode = '1';
wlc_state = '';
wlc_sbstate = '';
wlc_scan_state = '3';
_wlc_ssid = '';
aplist = [["2G","Vodafone%2Dnnnnnnnn","1","WPA-PSK","TKIP+AES","26","00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX","bg","0"]];

(To respect privacy i changed the actual numbers after %2D, they where 0-9 digits and I masked the MAC)

BR
Ocram

Thanks Ocram, I'll try to reproduce the issue by reproducing that SSID.

If folks could provide one or two other samples showing possibly similar unusual SSIDs, that would help to confirm that the issue is really there.

Code:

...produces following output:

Code:
_sw_mode = '1'; 
wlc_state = ''; 
wlc_sbstate = ''; 
wlc_scan_state = '3'; 
_wlc_ssid = ''; 
aplist = [["2G","wlan%5FLED","1","Open system","NONE","13","00:0C:42:05:E3:6C","b","0"]];

Edited: MAC is unknow and doesn't belong to any of my devices, either SSID "wlan_LED"...

Ciao
Gerald

Last edited:
_sw_mode = '1';
wlc_state = '';
wlc_sbstate = '';
wlc_scan_state = '3';
_wlc_ssid = '';
aplist = [["2G","sevenseven","11","WPA2PSK","AES","23","xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx","bgn","0"]];

That SSID is unmodified, the MAC address is disguised to protect privacy.

Last edited:
Code:
_sw_mode = '1'; 
wlc_state = ''; 
wlc_sbstate = ''; 
wlc_scan_state = '3'; 
_wlc_ssid = ''; aplist = [["2G","2WIRE092","1","WPA2-PSK","TKIP+AES","31","34:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX","bg","0"]];

Last edited:
That script shows the visible neighbour routers, so it's normal that you don't recognize the MAC or SSID.

So far two of you do show unusual SSIDs containing non-alphanumerical characters - good chance that these are the cause of your problems. However that doesn't explain it for the other reports that have perfectly normal SSIDs, unless the list you posted was incomplete or somehow modified.

Code:

Here's my results:
_sw_mode = '1'; wlc_state = ''; wlc_sbstate = ''; wlc_scan_state = '3'; _wlc_ssid = ''; aplist = [["2G","xxxxxxxxxxxx","11","Unknown","WEP","7","xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx","bg","0"]];

The SSID is 12 letters, all lower case, with no spaces

SSID name shouldn't matter - I just tested here with an SSID containing various non-alphanumericals in it, and the site survey had no trouble dealing with them.

One constant I notice however in all those reported lists is that all of you only have one SSID showing in their site survey. Can you confirm that this is really the only other wireless signal you can see in your area (discounting any that would be so faint as to not always register anyway on a scan)? If any of you have a spare router, could you see what happens if you have that other router also turned on and broadcasting, so to ensure that you have at least two routers showing up on a scan?

You also all have empty wlc_state and wlc_sbstate, tho I am unsure how it could be related (mines are both set to 0 here in the two routers I checked). Are you all running in router mode?

Last edited:
SSID name shouldn't matter - I just tested here with an SSID containing various non-alphanumericals in it, and the site survey had no trouble dealing with them.

One constant I notice however in all those reported lists is that all of you only have one SSID showing in their site survey. Can you confirm that this is really the only other wireless signal you can see in your area (discounting any that would be so faint as to not always register anyway on a scan)? If any of you have a spare router, could you see what happens if you have that other router also turned on and broadcasting, so to ensure that you have at least two routers showing up on a scan?

You also all have empty wlc_state and wlc_sbstate, tho I am unsure how it could be related (mines are both set to 0 here in the two routers I checked). Are you all running in router mode?

Hi
Yes, while doing the check there was only one wireless signal available besides my own (I checked with inSSIDer on laptop).

Tonight at home I will turn on two access points that are normally off and I will let you know the result.

I confirm that i am running RT-N66U in router mode.

Thanks
Ocram

Passive scan on 2.4Ghz band only
First when just clicking Rescan there happens nothing
Then after reloading http://192.168.1.1/apscan.asp a few times
1) _sw_mode = '1'; wlc_state = '0'; wlc_sbstate = '0'; wlc_scan_state = '1'; _wlc_ssid = ''; aplist = [[]];
2)...
Code:
_sw_mode = '1'; wlc_state = '0'; wlc_sbstate = '0'; wlc_scan_state = '3'; _wlc_ssid = ''; aplist = 
[["2G","dlink4644","6","WPA2-PSK","TKIP+AES","10","00:22:B0:00:00:00","bgn","0"],
 ["2G","telenet%2Dapn%2D3E8E5","9","WPA-PSK","TKIP","0","F0:7D:68:00:00:00","bgn","0"],
 ["2G","TELENETHOMESPOT","1","Open System","NONE","10","5E:35:3B:00:00:00","bgn","0"],
 ["2G","telenet%2DE2309","1","WPA2-PSK","TKIP+AES","10","5C:35:3B:00:00:00","bgn","0"]];

When I do a passive scan now the results are displaying properly in Site Survey's table
Also when rescanning the script seems to work now. Sometimes 2 SSID's then 4, etc...
I get the best results when running one time apscan.asp and then run a normal scan to get all 6 SSID's.
Running both at same time breaks apscan.asp results in browser but Site Survey continues working.

Active scan on 2.4Ghz band only
Clicking rescan seems to run in a endless loop
Only way to get results is reloading http://192.168.1.1/apscan.asp in a new tap a lot of times
Or just reload the page
I notice sometimes I get a loading sign after rescan button and the sentence Searching for available networks, please wait...
Sometimes I only get rescan button with a loading sign