What's new

size of hard drive and reliability and price

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

andrewj

New Around Here
I'm thinking about going down the NAS road. Interested in thoughts about hard drive size and reliability. On a price level, the 3 TB hard drive is cheaper per TB than the 2 TB hard drives. On the other hand is there any argument to be made for getting a smaller hard drive for reliability? Would a smaller hard drive work better in terms of redundancy with a RAID set up?

I haven't used enough harddrives recently to comment on reliability of different sizes.

My recomendation would be to buy the best TB/$ you can find that still has a 3yr if not longer warranty.

The new WD Red line has a longer warranty and are supposed to be optimized for NAS usage, they cost a bit more than the Green line, but the extra warranty is likely worth the money.

So would I better off with two 3 TB drives or three 2 TB drives? Which would be faster, more reliable?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!