What's new

Skynet Skynet and Network Speed Test slow-downs ..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roboots21

Regular Contributor
Folks,

I'm having a weird problem that doesn't make much sense to me. AX88U on beta4b FW (merlin). Fresh factory settings reset and jffs format. No settings restored. I set up my wifi clients with default settings included in merlin build. My advertised speeds are 400D/20U. My speed tests consistently run at ~475D/24U. I verified this at several times throughout the day and before/after changing any wifi/DNS/LAN/etc. settings.

I then moved onto setting up my USB drive/scripts via AMTM, etc. I first set up my USB drive with with 2GB swap, entware installed, retested speeds and all good. I moved onto installing spdmerlin, verified speeds still good post install. From there, I installed Diversion, configured it all up and re-ran speed tests post install, still good at 475D/24U. From there, I installed skynet. Once skynet completed installation and all lock files were free (as noted in the skynet config page in amtm), I ran some speed tests. My speed download speeds dropped considerable to an average of 275D across 10 or so speed tests each a minute apart. I disabled skynet and immediately saw my speeds back at 475D.

While, in reading various posted, skynet should NOT affect speeds, I'm concerned. I guess one of my questions is could the type of USB that I utlize impact skynet? I have a standard laptop HDD in a USB enclosure plugged into the back of the AX88U USB port with speeds set to USB 3.0. Should I be looking into a small SSD to put into that enclosure? USB stick? I believe that may be the root cause of some of my issues but wanted to see if anyone else had seen anything before I go out and buy an SSD and transfer all my files as I used it as a backup device as well.

Thoughts? If I need to provide more information, I can. Thanks!

Last edited:
I do think you should not use an HDD on the router. :)

I also believe you have your u/d speeds reversed too.

I do think you should not use an HDD on the router. :)

I also believe you have your u/d speeds reversed too.

Thanks! You're absolutely right on the speeds and I edited accordingly. With that note, I'll grab an SSD to put in the enclosure as a 500GB one is fairly cheap these days!

Do the ax models also need to worry about usb 3.0 causing issues?

Also is there a reason not to use a Samsung Pro Endurance micro SD card in a usb adapter?
(Or SanDisk Max Endurance)

Do the ax models also need to worry about usb 3.0 causing issues?

Also is there a reason not to use a Samsung Pro Endurance micro SD card in a usb adapter?
(Or SanDisk Max Endurance)
This was my plan, but I was told to not use a micro SD card, even a very good one, so I purchased a 256 GB 240 GB SSD and enclosure that I plan to implement soon as 386.1 is released. Something about the nand, or the memory goo in them.

What I don't know yet, is whether to run it in USB 2.0 or 3.0. They say 3.0 can interfere with the 2.4 Ghz wireless network, but I don't know if will affect my case enough for yay or nay.

Last edited:
This was my plan, but I was told to not use a micro SD card, even a very good one, so I purchased a 256 GB 240 GB SSD and enclosure that I plan to implement soon as 386.1 is released. Something about the nand, or the memory goo in them.

What I don't know yet, is whether to run it in USB 2.0 or 3.0. They say 3.0 can interfere with the 2.4 Ghz wireless network, but I don't know if will affect my case enough for yay or nay.

I received my WD 500GB SSD yesterday, installed that into a USB 3.0 enclosure and plugged it into the AX88U. I run my USB port at 2.0 since if I enable 3.0, the noise on the 2.4Ghz band goes from ~90db down to 70db, and as such my range is decreased on that band and a couple of my outside devices end up with weak signal and won't connect. If I run USB 2.0, all is well.

That being said, with USB 2.0 selected, SSD formatted as EXT4, plugged back in and re-did Diversion and Skynet installations. Diversion installed, speedtests still as expected at 480D/23U. As soon as I install Skynet, wait for it to settle and the lock files to be released, my speedtests drop back to 250D/23U, same as before. Now I understand Skynet should not be doing this, but something is either happening with the processor on the router to not allow my capable speeds, or something weird with Skynet is going on. I should also add that I still have AiProtect enabled also and am on 386.1 beta4b FW. When I run a speedtest from a device via LAN also, same results as router in both situations. For now, I'm not going to use Skynet until I can narrow down something else being an issue.

Well I hope that isn't something indicative of 386.1, because it hasn't been so in the past, at least for me. I normally get 250 down 10 up, day in, day out, with skynet and the other scripts in my signature. Or it may be indicative of bugs related to the X series, I don't know, but I hope you can find out what and resolve it.

I'm getting ready with my new PNY 240 GB SSD, and I will go with USB 2 mode also. I have held back until 386.1 is offficially released, but it doesn't seem like it will be long. I'm not looking forward to reconfiguration from scratch, but it is necessary. My little network seems to be running smooth now, so it doesn't accelerate the need to upgrade any.

Well I hope that isn't something indicative of 386.1, because it hasn't been so in the past, at least for me. I normally get 250 down 10 up, day in, day out, with skynet and the other scripts in my signature. Or it may be indicative of bugs related to the X series, I don't know, but I hope you can find out what and resolve it.

I'm getting ready with my new PNY 240 GB SSD, and I will go with USB 2 mode also. I have held back until 386.1 is offficially released, but it doesn't seem like it will be long. I'm not looking forward to reconfiguration from scratch, but it is necessary. My little network seems to be running smooth now, so it doesn't accelerate the need to upgrade any.

I'm hoping to narrow it down, but for now, just no Skynet.

That being said, I was not looking forward to a full reset and configure, but actually took less than an hour to reset, reconfigure, connect AiMesh nodes and such, install scripts, reboot everything and let it settle. So it wasn't as bad as I thought!

Just curious. I'm seeing a lot of people talk about using rather large ssd. As someone who has not done anything with scripts yet, is there a reason to get anything more than a 32gb USB stick? Speed obviously doesn't matter as your told to switch to usb 2.0. I would think the main focus would be on quality for longevity. Why 500gb?

Because they're cheap and much more reliable than a 32GB USB drive. :)

Not sure what's causing your slowness, but I'm hitting 500 down / 24 up with skynet enabled on ac88u to USB 32gb flash. Did you enable additional logging? Did using flash provide better results? Sorry if I missed it, are you doing your testing over wired or wireless?

Yea I am on beta4b with the rtax88u skynet+AiProtect and my speeds are around 500 to 650mbps and this is on a 1Gbps connection. This is with QoS off and SSD Is used for addons.

I use a cheap 8gb usb stick i acquired from work, runs skynet and entware fine with a 2gb swap file on it

@Expose11 , I asked the same question.

Apparently an asus router running custom scripts with a swap file read-writes a lot more than say, a pc. My most recent one lasted about a year. The usb's supposedly don't have as good quality nand as a SSD and they just wear out. If you set up a partition on the SSD, it will use the nand as is wears out and should'nt ever need replacing. I likened it to one cow having a very large pasture to graze from.

That's the way I understand it.

bump this up for more insights as im encountering the same issue as TS o_O

first record is with Skynet enabled and second record is with Skynet disabled
running on RT-AC86U on 386.1

1612084618462.png

Last edited:
So, what you're stating is that with Skynet your speeds are faster.

Personally I feel so much more comfortable online with Skynet I would gladly accept a 50% speed cut for the protection, but YMMV. ;)

Edit: I've also never paid for service faster than 200Mbit.

So, what you're stating is that with Skynet your speeds are faster.

I'm pretty sure he's saying the opposite. The built-in speedtest shows most recent results on top, so he's saying faster WITHOUT skynet.

The 'first record/Skynet On' is the one that ran at 17:13. The 'second/Skynet Off' is the slower one at 17:16.

The 'first record/Skynet On' is the one that ran at 17:13. The 'second/Skynet Off' is the slower one at 17:16.

apologies on the confusion,

record with timestamp 17:13 is with Skynet disabled
record with timestamp 17:16 is with Skynet enabled