What's new

Skynet Skynet Installation issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FlyByWire

Regular Contributor
Hi there,
I installed Skynet via SSH on an RT-AC86U (running as access point). Installation worked. After reboot I can't access Skynet via SSH "firewall" nor can I find it on the web gui?!

It will take the same amount of time and you won't be 'assured' that any future glitches won't be dependent on those previous experiments either.

Do it right, do it once.

It's all of 5 minutes 'work'. :)

Is it ok, to backup setting (gui) an nvram (srcipt) and restore afterwards? And further, does nvram backup the custom client list too, or do I have to backup that seperatly?

Why is a backup needed for an AP?

@L&LD, if you don't mind I ask for your help again. I installed SkyNet on my Router (Fibre Modem attached). I got these message saying "something like private IP and I should put the modem in bridge mode", what I don't be able to. Had a message, that some files could not be created?! Read somewhere, that that not might be an issue. From Router gui I can't access, getting an "404 - file not found" error. USB Stick is 3.1 128GB SanDisk cruzer. Formatted with AMTM. Reboot doesn't solve the problem.

it most likely did not install on your router in AP mode. You can check by changing it back to router mode and re-running the installation via amtm.

@FlyByWire is your router getting an external IP (public/internet facing) from the modem?

Check by clicking on the Internet/WAN button when at the Network Map page (it will show the details on the right).

If it isn't a public IP address, you need to put your modem/ONT in Bridge mode. You may have to call your ISP provider to do that.

What this does is disables the radios (if any) on that device, and passes the IP address the ISP is letting you use to your main router.

This is the only way Skynet will work, afaik.

Sorry, why not? (I don't know what a dual-stack light account is)?

This is an account with only IPv6 support grenerating IPv4 adress only as bulk.
Anyways, I looked it up, and I see a public WAN IP and an public gateway IP.

Maybe this might be the problem. I'm getting my IPv4 adress by an external port mapper. Nativ there is just IPv6 from the ISP. Inside my network I have disabled IPv6.

Sorry, the description might be confusing. I'll try again. My ISP is only providing IPv6 addresses. So I use an external service (running on an RasPI) to achieve a IPv4 address. On my Router, IPv6 is support disabled. Furthermore (I don't know if this is important for the issue) DNS Server on the Router points to another RasPI inside my network, running IPhole.
Fact is, on Router gui I have an public WAN IPv4 address and also an public gateway IP.

@FlyByWire sorry, this is way above my paygrade! :)

I hope with my post, your thread will be seen again soon with someone that may help. Wish you well.

@L&LD To continue this, I meanwhile found out, that I do have 'bride mode' enabled in my Modem. I configured the Router to use IPv6 (native) with PIhole as DNS server (fe80: ) and added conditional forwarding in PIhole for resolving local client hosts. Thats running fine.

Whe installing SkyNet I get this:
Screenshot 2021-02-15 235245.png

and then this:
Screenshot 2021-02-15 235128.png

Any suggestions on that