What's new

Skynet Skynet malware update problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tester83

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

due to usb fat32 problem (I presume because i did a check disk to fix some previous failure) I see 0 ban 0 blocked etc etc, all 0.
I tried to updade malware list but this is the output:

Filter URL Reset
Downloading filter.list | [1s]
Refreshing Whitelists | [17s]
Consolidating Blacklist | awk: "banmal.war: No such file or directory
[4s]
Filtering IPv4 Addresses | [0s]
Filtering IPv4 Ranges | [0s]
Applying New Blacklist | [0s]
Refreshing AiProtect Bans | kill: can't kill pid 8100: No such process
[0s]
Saving Changes | [1s]

For Whitelisting Assistance -

What have I to do to fix it?

thank you

What router? What firmware?

Skynet requires a USB drive in Ext3 or Ext4 format and a 2GB swap file (not swap drive).

check your usb drive and make sure its setup correclty

Once you fix it, you may need to uninstall and re-install skynet

Skynet requires a USB drive in Ext3 or Ext4 format and a 2GB swap file (not swap drive).

Hello, I have RT-AC88U, with latest merlin firmware. it has worked properly for years with usb drive.

I formatted the USB drive and reinstalled again. Now it works ok. The problem was some driver errors at this point.

Thank you all for the support.

Glad you got it working again. For future help requests 'latest RMerlin firmware' doesn't mean much. Depending on the model, that could be anywhere from 380.70 to 386.1 Beta 1, depending on the router we're talking about. And even for the currently supported routers, there is the 384.19_0 release, three or four Alpha's, and the latest Beta 1 all being potential candidates for 'latest'. :)

USB flash drives are notorious for "wearing" out. Even if it was "working for years" it will eventually fail and need to be replaced typically.

Glad you got it working again. For future help requests 'latest RMerlin firmware' doesn't mean much. Depending on the model, that could be anywhere from 380.70 to 386.1 Beta 1, depending on the router we're talking about. And even for the currently supported routers, there is the 384.19_0 release, three or four Alpha's, and the latest Beta 1 all being potential candidates for 'latest'. :)

Sorry, you have right, 384.19

So, is this software still updated? Or it is going to be closed and then we should uninstall it?

Adamm just pushed an update like, two weeks ago. And he's not the one that maintains the lists. So you should be g2g for a while.

@raduzl74 I don't think we can uninstall it. :p

From the link @Treadler posted,

About
Skynet gained self-awareness after it had spread into millions of computer servers all across the world; realizing the extent of its abilities, its creators tried to deactivate it. In the interest of self-preservation, Skynet concluded that all of humanity would attempt to destroy it and impede its capability in safeguarding the world. Its operations are almost exclusively performed by servers, mobile devices, drones, military satellites, war-machines, androids and cyborgs (usually a terminator), and other computer systems. As a programming directive, Skynet's manifestation is that of an overarching, global, artificial intelligence hierarchy (AI takeover), which seeks to exterminate the human race in order to fulfill the mandates of its original coding. (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

Adamm just pushed an update like, two weeks ago. And he's not the one that maintains the lists. So you should be g2g for a while.

It's good to re-state that regularly, a lot of folks seem to think skynet 'updates' are required to get updated blacklists.

@raduzl74 even if there is not updated skynet software, as long as the same blacklist providers are available, skynet will reach out according to it's schedule and download updates.

Respectfully, I woud disagree. It is my expierence that skynet works fine with whatever file system a user perfers. Unless theres been a recent change I dont now about it will work fine on ext2 3 4 or the various fatties . Personally I perfer ext2 because it seems faster then 3 or 4 to me. Would love to use f2fs however isnt natively suported and the install scripts really like to complain when I tried to get it going . Sorry for being so OT...

Yeah, my external is ext4 with Journaling off and a 2GB swap file.

Edit: correction - 2GB swap.

Last edited:
Yes, things have changed.

1GB swap file is too little for Skynet for a long time now.