What's new

Slow file transfer speed between 2 wired clients, Asus rt ax56u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pattox

Regular Contributor
I have been testing file transfer speeds between two Windows 10 computers connected by ethernet on a network with an Asus rt ax56u router, and have been surprised by what appears to be a slow transfer speed (11.6MB/s) or about 88Mb/s. Each computer has a GB lan port; one of connecting cables a Cat 5e. One cable is 15 metres, the other 1 metre, I have, I think, disabled file sharing encryption on both computers. I have disabled wireless on both computers so that the wired ethernet is the only connection between them. The file I amusing as a test is a 6 gigabyte ISO file. The Asus is running Merlin firmware 386.4.

I was under the impression that file transfers between wired clients on this router would occur much higher speeds, perhaps in the hundreds of megabits/s. I'm just wondering if the speeds I'm experiencing are "normal", or is there something amiss?

I have been testing file transfer speeds between two Windows 10 computers connected by ethernet on a network with an Asus rt ax56u router, and have been surprised by what appears to be a slow transfer speed (11.6MB/s) or about 88Mb/s. Each computer has a GB lan port; one of connecting cables a Cat 5e. One cable is 15 metres, the other 1 metre, I have, I think, disabled file sharing encryption on both computers. I have disabled wireless on both computers so that the wired ethernet is the only connection between them. The file I amusing as a test is a 6 gigabyte ISO file. The Asus is running Merlin firmware 386.4.

I was under the impression that file transfers between wired clients on this router would occur much higher speeds, perhaps in the hundreds of megabits/s. I'm just wondering if the speeds I'm experiencing are "normal", or is there something amiss?

On further consideration I think the underlying problem, if a problem exists, lies with Windows 10 rather than with Asus router.

Still, I'm wondering if other people are experiencing the same network transfer speeds as I am.

You should be getting line speeds, i.e. ~940Mbps excluding overheads.

Hadn’t heard of Iperf but will follow up and try it.

Also should have mentioned the file transfer was from an Nvme on one pc to a fast ssd on the other (laptop) so that the disks should not be the constraint.

At the outset I realised that these are well below what I would have expected and would really like to track down the possible cause.

I’m wondering if there is anyone who has done wired to wired file transfers using copy and paste in windows that has measured their speed and would like to share their figures.

1. I was using rough mental arithmetic (8 x 11=88)
2. If one link has dropped speed, why would would that happen?

Cable issue usually. The speed you see is about max for Fast Ethernet connection.

Thanks. I will follow through on these suggestions over the next few days. The specifications for cables (one cat 6, the other cat 5e) should be fine for 1GB bits/s, but the cablez may be faulty. Will swap with other cables just to check.

Thank you all.
It was the 15metre long Cat 6 cable that was the problem-obviously faulty or well below spec.. Now my transfer speeds are 872 megabits/s.

If it comes back after a while, suspect the RJ45 receptacle.

Your oomment is very prescient!

My PC has two ethernet connectors, the Asus motherboard one, and also one on a TPlink PCIe card.
I had been using the asus M/B one when I first discovered the file transfer speed problem. and for troubleshooting. It showed 100 Mb/s with a long cable and 1Gb/s with a short one so I concluded that the long cable (Cat6) was below spec or faulty.

Out of curiosity (before I saw your comment) I decided to try the TPlink connector using the long cable. Lo and behold, it showed as a 1Gb/s connection.

So there could be a problem with the Asus receptacle because it gives variable results for cable that are known to be good on the other connector. Could a driver issue be causing these variable results? I can't think why. As far as I remember I am using the drivers supplied with the Asus motherboard.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!